Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELL
HELL
Hi yall. Let me start off by saying I don't think it's healthy to focus too much on this subject, regardless of whether you believe in it or not.  Shy

However, what prompted me to write this post was all the talk and questions I see in regards to the belief in Hell. I've explained my views a little bit, by saying that 1. I don't believe Hell is a physical place, 2. I don't believe God "throws" people into Hell, and 3. I believe Hell is the state of being by an individual who has rejected goodness and love, thus rejecting God Himself (since I believe God is those things).

Another belief I have that has been speculated by a few theologians but is not mentioned in the article, is that upon dying, every person gets a final chance to "meet" with God, if you will. And from there they make a conscious and informed decision to either reject or accept Him. (And by accepting or rejecting Him, they are accepting or rejecting love and goodness. So the state of rejection is Hell, the state of acceptance is Heaven.)   

I figured it might be useful to me to lay it all out here so everyone understands where I stand, and so I can refer people back to this post when I get questions or comments regarding Hell. 

Here is a snippet from the article:

Quote:By their account, hell is best understood as the condition of total alienation from all that is good, hopeful and loving in the world. What's more, this condition is chosen by the damned themselves, the ultimate exercise of free will, not a punishment engineered by God.

Hell ''is not a 'place' but a 'state,' a person's 'state of being,' in which a person suffers from the deprivation of God,'' declared La Civilta Cattolica, an influential Jesuit magazine based in Rome and closely tied to the Vatican, in a long editorial in July.

The magazine also stated that it is not God who inflicts pain ''through angels or demons as is illustrated in many paintings or is read in the 'Divine Comedy,' '' but the sinner who triggers his own punishment by deliberately rejecting God's grace, thereby entering a great state of pain.

For those interested in reading more: http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/18/arts/h...gewanted=1

(The silly part is that the title calls this view a "makeover" but the article goes on to say this view is nothing new in the Church lol)
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: HELL
My interest was always in the afterlife in general. What could possibly entertain one for an eternity? Would not heaven eventually be hell anyway?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
The church doesn't like it when people make up their own rules.....

http://www.integratedcatholiclife.org/20...-and-hell/
(August 31, 2015 at 7:20 pm)IATIA Wrote: My interest was always in the afterlife in general.  What could possibly entertain one for an eternity?  Would not heaven eventually be hell anyway?

I think it's hard for us to imagine because we are bound by time and space - things that I believe don't necessarily apply in an entirely different dimension that is the afterlife.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
@IATIA
My view exactly. Any version of afterlife that doesn't allow the possibility of its ending will be intolerable beyond imagining. You wouldn't be able to move in either heaven or hell for all the suicide attempts.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 31, 2015 at 7:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The church doesn't like it when people make up their own rules.....

http://www.integratedcatholiclife.org/20...-and-hell/

Hi Min, did you read the article I linked? An "influential Jesuit magazine based in Rome and closely tied to the Vatican" specifically addressed the beliefs presented in the article. None of my views are made up, and neither are they heretical. 

Lol, trust me, I couldn't have made up any of this stuff.

-walsh
HELL
[Image: d15ee94f277e15d86b6b5380506e071d.jpg]
(August 31, 2015 at 7:16 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Hi yall. Let me start off by saying I don't think it's healthy to focus too much on this subject, regardless of whether you believe in it or not.  Shy

Yes, it isn't a healthy subject. Especially for a child growing up in the 60ies, being constantly pestered by priests with hellworthy sins. Or the simple threat of god taking what's most dear to us, if we sin.

That said, I grew up. I informed myself and one of the results of informing myself, combined with my interest in history and mythology, was meeting the goddess of Hel and her domain. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? In fact, both the english as well as the German word have their roots there.

Also, I started to call bullshit where bullshit's due. If Satan, or Lucifer (The lightbearer), presides over hell, intent on overthrowing Big Daddy, what's his incentive in playing god's torturer? Why would he play god's ball on god's playing field?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 31, 2015 at 7:16 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Another belief I have that has been speculated by a few theologians but is not mentioned in the article, is that upon dying, every person gets a final chance to "meet" with God, if you will.

Mormons believe this, too.  That's why they do the baptism for the dead stuff.  They've been doing it since the 1840s, so I suspect your theologians are behind the times and Mormonism really is the One True Religion™ after all.
Angel

Quote: And from there they make a conscious and informed decision to either reject or accept Him.

Then what's the point of making people to believe on faith alone in this life?

If God gives everyone a last chance when you're standing in front of the pearly gates and this, presumably, doesn't effect one's free will to accept or reject God in that moment, why not move the meeting up to, I don't know, sometime during this life?
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(August 31, 2015 at 7:25 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I think it's hard for us to imagine because we are bound by time and space - things that I believe don't necessarily apply in an entirely different dimension that is the afterlife.

All fine and dandy, but forever is a long long long long long looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 11412 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda