Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghosts
Ghosts
Are there any atheists on here that believe in ghosts? If so, why?

Thanks!
RE: Ghosts
Not this one.

I find the idea interesting but I don't believe.
Dying to live, living to die.
Depends on what scary noises I hear coming from the dark.....
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
ooh I believe in ghosts.
Why? Cause they are cute and transparent Tongue
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(September 5, 2015 at 11:39 pm)Shuffle Wrote: Are there any atheists on here that believe in ghosts? If so, why?

Thanks!
Religions are typically based on the ideas of gods, devils, demons, angels, spirits, ghosts, zombies, resurrections, heavens, hells, eternal life, eternal damnation, and sacrifices, either animal or human. So if a person believes in ghosts why wouldn't he take the next step and pick out a religious fairy tale to believe in as well?
(September 6, 2015 at 12:11 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(September 5, 2015 at 11:39 pm)Shuffle Wrote: Are there any atheists on here that believe in ghosts? If so, why?

Thanks!
Religions are typically based on the ideas of gods, devils, demons, angels, spirits, ghosts, zombies, resurrections, heavens, hells, eternal life, eternal damnation, and sacrifices, either animal or human. So if a person believes in ghosts why wouldn't he take the next step and pick out a religious fairy tale to believe in as well?

That is what I thought, but I have come across many atheists that believe in all things supernatural. It is weird, but  it common.
I used to believe in ghosts when I still believed in invisible sky-wizards who spoke humans into existence out of bits of poo or whatever. The advent of my atheism took with it any belief I had in the supernatural.

As far as ghosts go specifically, the only "evidence" for them is instances where we don't know what actually happened ("Ghost of the Gaps," if you will), or else there's a simpler explanation available, and so the particular claim falls neath the stroke of Occam's Razor.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
(September 6, 2015 at 12:12 am)Shuffle Wrote:
(September 6, 2015 at 12:11 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Religions are typically based on the ideas of gods, devils, demons, angels, spirits, ghosts, zombies, resurrections, heavens, hells, eternal life, eternal damnation, and sacrifices, either animal or human. So if a person believes in ghosts why wouldn't he take the next step and pick out a religious fairy tale to believe in as well?

That is what I thought, but I have come across many atheists that believe in all things supernatural. It is weird, but  it common.

An atheist doesn't always mean the person is a rational skeptic capable of critical thought. Belief in ghosts would be among the least surprising beliefs.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I have seen several ಠ_ಠ
A ghost is what we call when you drop a lit match into an empty whisky bottle
I quit believing in ghosts when I quit believing in souls.
I would more generally advocate that one only leave one entrance into their mind(reason), and keep the rest of it rather closed, as it is one hell of a lot easier to shovel shit in than it is to get it out.

If the evidence and reason for you to believe something isn't really any better than the reason you should believe some rural farmer from Arkansas got anally probed by interstellar visitors, then you probably shouldn't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion, ghosts, gods, chupacabra and beliefs? Dorian Gray 12 4170 October 20, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest