Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion, ghosts, gods, chupacabra and beliefs?
Religion, ghosts, gods, chupacabra and beliefs?
My time spent in a “Christian Life School” has not only cemented my atheism, but has also reinforced my unbelief in things that I used to find mostly unbelievable but somehow amusing and worthy of interest. I now find myself watching shows about ghosts, bigfoot, and UFOs with a jaw-dropping incredulity that just furthers my sense of alienation from the rest of society. It seems most people put faith in silly religions, search in dark places for ghosts, monsters, demons, aliens, refusing to pickup pennies if they are tails up, and all kinds of ridiculousness. Where is the sanity in any of this?

In the interest of Halloween, I thought this could be incorporated into an amusing and possibly enlightening topic. I see a lot of these belief systems as otherwise rational people trying to assign some sort of pattern to things that have no pattern. Christians don’t believe in coincidence, of course, and many people who believe in alien visitations or leprechauns think religious people are fools.

It fascinates me to realize that people fall prey to a penchant for attempting to make sense out of our environment by assigning illusions of causation for inexplicable events. This may seem harmless, but beliefs are difficult to overcome, especially when one assigns the role of an agent (i.e. god) in situations that truly have no agent. It then becomes natural to designate de facto falsehoods based on an original “belief” that has no real evidence supporting it to begin with. If you believe in ghosts, and you hear a strange noise, or catch something out of the corner of your eye, you are more likely to believe that a ghost is responsible. People who believe in god do not look for things that will disconfirm their original belief, because they have made sense of things that make no sense by believing in something that has worked for them by their own confirmation bias. They will continually seek confirmation and ignore opposing evidence.

In writing this, I even begin to wonder if writing in this particular forum is simply my own confirmation bias! (I am preaching to the choir, so to speak). But I have spent 8 months in an intensive Bible school, have attended church, and discussed religious matters with Christian friends throughout my life (which mostly consists of a lot of nodding and smiling on my part). Embarrassingly, I have made 5 or 6 “altar calls” and have been “saved” as many times (apparently, none of them stuck). I have been studying this phenomenon of belief and have opened myself to opposing viewpoints, and I still see religion and other strange paranormal beliefs to be simply constructs of the human mind, and nothing more.

I have digressed here, but I am wondering if anyone’s skepticism toward religion has filtered to skepticism in other supernatural areas. For those that were once believers, did the opening of your eyes transfer to other weird things? Has anyone compartmentalized belief in some weirdness, but scoff at the belief in other weirdness?
RE: Religion, ghosts, gods, chupacabra and beliefs?
Everything in the 'woo' world is specious crappola.

Big foot

ghosts

kobolds

Champ

rods

it's all a pile of shit
What about orgasms?
I'm skeptical of everything, including gods, monsters, ghosts, salespeople and politicians. I see little difference between Yahweh, Zeus or bigfoot.

Except for the FSM (sbuh). He's real! FSM Grin
(October 10, 2014 at 7:29 pm)DramaQueen Wrote: What about orgasms?

Well, I've heard of some women having a "religious experience" with certain electronic devices. Wink
My grandfather was telling a story about a woman who had the evil eye. She sometimes hexed children and pregnant woman but more often pigs (It was Denmark after all). My uncle said, Dad, you don't really believe in witches do you? Grampa said only in Europe. There are no witches in America.

It still makes me laugh.

I'd laugh harder if the uncle hadn't gone on to become a young earther and joined a school board in Oklahoma. I try to image him explaining to his Danish relatives that the earth is a over a billion years old in Europe but less than six thousand in America. It amuses me.

Traditional Scottish Prayer that made it's way into some North American churches Scottish and otherwise:

From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(October 10, 2014 at 7:24 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Everything in the 'woo' world is specious crappola.

Big foot

ghosts

kobolds

Champ

rods

it's all a pile of shit

Don't forget:

ancient aliens

chemtrails

astrology

chakras

homeopathy
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(October 10, 2014 at 7:18 pm)Dorian Gray Wrote: I now find myself watching shows about ghosts, bigfoot, and UFOs with a jaw-dropping incredulity that just furthers my sense of alienation from the rest of society.

Hey, Dorian.

You have much, much more in common with believers than not. Everyone believes in something that isn't real, they just don't know it yet. :-) Don't let beliefs alienate you from others. They aren't all that important in most cases.

I could tell you I ate eggs for breakfast. You might believe me, another member might not. Hardly a reason the two of you should feel alienated from each other.
It is as simple as if you want to believe something badly enough, you will. The easiest way to know the claimant is full of shit is to challenge them to take their claim to a neutral independent lab and have their findings peer reviewed by people with no horse in the race.

If the claimant reacts with "No" it is a very simple indicator that they are merely protecting their wishes and ego.
(October 17, 2014 at 3:24 pm)TreeSapNest Wrote: Hey, Dorian.

You have much, much more in common with believers than not. Everyone believes in something that isn't real, they just don't know it yet. :-) Don't let beliefs alienate you from others. They aren't all that important in most cases.

I could tell you I ate eggs for breakfast. You might believe me, another member might not. Hardly a reason the two of you should feel alienated from each other.
I agree, but...I'm finding it difficult to have respect for people who wander around in dark places with EMF detectors, and listen to random noises after asking an empty room stupid questions, thinking they get responses in the form of EVPs.

Much as I find it difficult to respect people who wave their arms in the air at church. I sometimes think this makes me an ass, but I can't help it. I mean people are just so damn gullible I just can't help but make fun of them. And, there's gotta be money in it somewhere....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There are no "isms" just beliefs and positions. Brian37 14 1203 September 1, 2021 at 5:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15688 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Anyone see gods not dead? Thegoodatheist 76 29509 March 13, 2021 at 11:07 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7053 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Mankind is actually building "Gods" Face2face 6 2162 December 11, 2017 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2634 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Are humans Gods? (article by an atheist) ChoklateWolfy 21 3896 March 2, 2017 at 10:11 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Birth of Gods Nishant 2 1152 January 3, 2017 at 5:48 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4481 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue