Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 10:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cursive?
Cursive?
So, what are your opinions on teaching cursive?

I learned cursive in grade school in the 80's, but I do not think I will bother to teach it to my child. However, I'm not dead set on that.  

Is there a good reason to learn cursive for kids today?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Cursive?
Only their name. Cursive harder to forge than print.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Supposedly, due to technology being more prevalent in society, cursive is a non issue to be taught in school now.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Builds character.

Suffering aids personal development.

Because I said so.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 10, 2015 at 8:47 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Builds character.

Suffering aids personal development.

Because I said so.
I think you just like the swirls and flourish.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I had to learn it.  Damn kids today have things too damned easy!
My children will be taught to write! And properly. If I a blind woman still practice my writing, then I see no reason not be able to write. It's laziness clean and simple.
void this (void)
     {this};

I prefer recursive.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(September 10, 2015 at 9:04 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: My children will be taught to write! And properly. If I a blind woman still practice my writing, then I see no reason not be able to write. It's laziness clean and simple.

You can write properly without writing cursive (though I admire that you write cursive while blind).  Isn't clean printing that anyone can read better than cursive?

As I said, I learned cursive, so I've got nothing against it.  I just am not sure I see the point of the time, or the effort.  My child wants to learn a foreign language and piano.  This pretty much fills up my "extra" teaching time, so I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth trying to squeeze in cursive as WELL as printing.

I'm disabled now, but I used to work in engineering, and cursive was pretty well forbidden there.  Block printing is clear, concise, and easy to read.  
Cursive is pretty....but is it useful?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
My, now ten-year old granddaughter, wanted books to learn to write in cursive last year for Christmas.  I got one for her as well as paper to practice on and some cool, colored pens.  She has always been into drawing and other artistic endeavors.  I think her desire to learn cursive was an offshoot of that.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius