Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Religion of Recycled ideas
This is a picture I made in my free time, i think it represents what a lot of believers don't want to acknowledge.
[Image: EE8AZwH.png]
RE: The Religion of Recycled ideas
Have you been watching Zeitgeist again!

PS, you need to introduce yourself properly in the relevant thread (we don't walk into your house unannounced, do we?)
Then you need to lurk for a little while, learn to use the search function, etc and you'll realise that the above info has been posted many times...
(there is also a specific thread for religious memes for things like that)

catch on the flipside!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
But, y'know, welcome to Atheist Forums! Smile

It's discouraged that newbies post a lot of big files/images for a while because we get a lot of Christian spammers who come here to "drop some knowledge" on us (eye-roll), and if we're going to ask them not to do it, we have to ask atheists the same, in the interest of fairness.

So stick around, comment on some other peoples' threads, and read the Rules link at the top of the page.

Glad you're here.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

$10 says the OP can't source even three of those claims.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Jesus stole all his moves.
It does sound like someone got hold of Kersey Graves', The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors and plotted it out.  Scholarship in the 1870's left something to be desired.

Carrier gives a far more lucid and modern account without the forced "similarities."

Quote:To say Christianity was a mystery religion is not to say that Christianity
is exactly like any other mystery religion, any more than any mystery
religion was 'exactly like' any other. Often when scholars deny that
Christianity was a mystery religion, they rea1 1y mean it wasn't just one of
the already-existing mystery religions superficially overhauled with Jewish
concepts. Christianity wasn't 'Osiris Cult 2.0'. Which is certai nly true. But
that's all that anyone's evidence can prove. If instead we define a mystery
religion as any Hellenistic cult in which individual salvation was procured
by a ritual initiation into a set of 'mysteries', the knowledge of which and
participation in which were key to ensuring a blessed eternal life, then
Christianity was demonstrably a mystery religion beyond any doubt.
I f we then expand that definition to include a set of specific feat ures
held in common by all other mystery religions of the early Roman era, then
Christianity becomes even more demonstrably a mystery religion, so much so,
in fact, that it's impossible to deny it was deliberately constructed as
such. Even the earliest discernible form of Christianity emulates numerous
cultic features and concepts that were so unique to the Hellenistic mystery
cults that it is statistically beyond any reasonable possibility that they
all found their way into Christianity by mere coincidence. They formed a
coherent, logical and repeatedly replicated system of ideas in every other
mystery cult. It would be irrational to conclude the same wasn't so of Christianity.
Christianity cannot be understood apart from this fact. And any
theory of historicity that fails to account for it cannot be credible.

On the Historicity of Jesus pgs. 96-97
(September 12, 2015 at 10:23 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: But, y'know, welcome to Atheist Forums! Smile

It's discouraged that newbies post a lot of big files/images for a while because we get a lot of Christian spammers who come here to "drop some knowledge" on us (eye-roll), and if we're going to ask them not to do it, we have to ask atheists the same, in the interest of fairness.

So stick around, comment on some other peoples' threads, and read the Rules link at the top of the page.

Glad you're here.

I know you mean well, but please leave this kind of thing up to staff.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(September 12, 2015 at 2:47 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(September 12, 2015 at 10:23 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: But, y'know, welcome to Atheist Forums! Smile

Glad you're here.

I know you mean well, but please leave this kind of thing up to staff.

Oh, I'm sorry, do I not have sufficient rank to give advice to people on their way in so they don't step on toes?

My deepest apologies. I shall endeavor to learn my place.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

It's not a question of rank, or place; merely demarcation.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Anyway, back on topic of what the OP wanted to talk about.

I was aware it was common knowledge that a good deal of Christianity plagiarised from older cultures, but I didn't quite realise the extent of it. It really is a hodgepodge of little details from older stories. You'd think for a religion that tried to bastardize all the "false Gods" that came before, they'd at least make their own original material. Guess not...

Also side-note, Islam plagiarises a lot of Christianity, so it plagiarises a religion which already plagiarized everything else. So much plagiarism here my head is spinning.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie