Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meaninglessness of the god concept
Meaninglessness of the god concept
In so far as concepts have meanings the concept of a god appears only to be defined by negative or relational attributes.  

God is immaterial is not meaningful but insofar as it is, it is negative, ie not material! In other words telling us what god is not, but not what god is! God the creator is a proposed attribute, but it is relational, in that juxtaposes a god to a universe and asserts a causal relationship. 

Thus there is no god concept defintion which identies gods nature (which in itself is meaningless because god is not natural but supernatural according to theists). No one can identify what a god is and what its primary attributes are, leaving theism at best poorly defined, but at worst meaningless.  God talk becomes nothing more than babbling nonsense given our resulting descent into non-cognitivism.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
RE: Meaninglessness of the god concept
After hearng all of the definitions of god, the only attribute I can nail down for sure is the he's flexible.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
For the monotheists I'll agree. What about the others? Native American Indians belief system comes to mind. I'm not in this for debate, just want to know your views.

Thanks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 14, 2015 at 3:39 pm)Faith No More Wrote: After hearing all of the definitions of god, the only attribute I can nail down for sure is the he's flexible.
A gumby god? I like it. (sorry, not in a very serious mood today)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
A Gumby god would be awesome, because claymation is cool.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 14, 2015 at 3:36 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: God is immaterial is not meaningful but insofar as it is, it is negative, ie not material! In other words telling us what god is not, but not what god is! God the creator is a proposed attribute, but it is relational, in that juxtaposes a god to a universe and asserts a causal relationship. 

I love the immaterial bit. It's doing all the work for us. You mean god is immaterial.... so he's not matter, and since he can't be measured he's not energy either..... And you just admitted your god only exists as an abstract concept. I mean, not that I don't agree...
Yup, totally agree which is why I identify as ignostic rather than agnostic.

Instead of "I don't know", my answer is, "I don't know what you're talking about, and I suspect you don't either."
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I would add that such a concept of an immaterial God- prevents us from giving definitions, and if we are not allowed to give any definition, it will not let us to reject his existence; since if we could know what HE EXACTLY IS- we could verify or deny the existence, like in science.
I think it's a smart way to make people think all the time over and over, without the need to give them proofs for anything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the idea of self a coherent concept? bennyboy 5 1216 January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Supernatural isn't a useful concept Rhizomorph13 85 11556 November 12, 2016 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Let's play with the concept of 'Supernatural' ErGingerbreadMandude 13 2107 March 22, 2016 at 4:01 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  'Success' is an illusionary concept. CapnAwesome 24 4894 December 19, 2015 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Meaninglessness of Meaning Mudhammam 42 13697 August 13, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The concept of herd mentality *Deidre* 33 12322 October 11, 2014 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Whateverist