Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research fail
Research fail
So, thought I should share a funny story. I just started my second year of grad school and I've been working in my lab for just a few weeks.

I have been having a huge issue with my project. I'm doing photolithography to make microchannels to separate biomolecules by differing potentials. The wafers keep coming out too bad to actually work with. So sciencey words aside, I FINALLY actually look at the bottle of photoresist and it expired two months ago.

Moral of story- always check expiration dates.

But, the wafers look super neat with all their bubbles.
[Image: c1e79674abb0fb7b8a69de0286abd3b9.jpg]
RE: Research fail
art is where you find it
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:Moral of story- always check expiration dates.

The theists would say 'pray to jesus.'
(September 21, 2015 at 12:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Moral of story- always check expiration dates.

The theists would say 'pray to jesus.'
I was getting so frustrated I was about to see if that would work. Haha
It wouldn't.
Science works by failures as much as success, as I'm sure you well know. Time wasted, yes, but a valuable lesson learned.

As the guys on MythBusters put it, "Failure is always an option." Smile
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(September 21, 2015 at 1:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It wouldn't.
I know, I was just joking Smile

(September 21, 2015 at 1:21 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Science works by failures as much as success, as I'm sure you well know. Time wasted, yes, but a valuable lesson learned.

As the guys on MythBusters put it, "Failure is always an option." Smile
This is very true. But at least I'm on the way of figuring it out.
(September 21, 2015 at 12:37 pm)geckomamasita Wrote: Moral of story- always check expiration dates.
Nah, if it's in my fridge I'm sure it's still good.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 21, 2015 at 2:52 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(September 21, 2015 at 12:37 pm)geckomamasita Wrote: Moral of story- always check expiration dates.
Nah, if it's in my fridge I'm sure it's still good.
Oh geez, be careful with that.
Nice taste in music. Saw them live not too long ago. Although I must say they really need to be experienced live, the studio albums are too tame and sterile for my taste.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Genius Edward Witten, could he help to intensify artificial intelligence research? ThoughtCurvature 1 992 September 5, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  When religion is at odds with climate change research Aegon 24 2803 December 28, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Important Research Pyrrho 10 2221 July 27, 2015 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist