Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important Research
Important Research
Quote:Emotion regulation, procrastination, and watching cat videos online: Who watches Internet cats, why, and to what effect?

Abstract

Anecdotes abound about the frequent use of the Internet to view cat-related media. Yet, research has yet to seriously address this popular culture phenomenon rooted largely in social media platforms. It is possible that viewing of online cat media improves mood, but this activity may also foster negative outcomes linked to using the Internet for procrastination. The present survey of Internet users (N = 6795) explored the correlates of viewing “Internet cats,” motivations for consuming this media, and its potential effects on users. It also tested a conceptual model predicting enjoyment as a function of the relationships between procrastination, guilt, and happiness. Results reveal significant relationships between viewing and personality types and demonstrate conceptual nuances related to the emotional benefits of watching Internet cats.

More details at:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0747563215004343

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
RE: Important Research

Can you quickly summarize for me what personality type I am if I never feel an inclination to view internet cats? Am I evil or something?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(July 27, 2015 at 9:39 pm)Alex K Wrote: Can you quickly summarize for me what personality type I am if I never feel an inclination to view internet cats? Am I evil or something?

German.

#casualracism
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(July 27, 2015 at 9:39 pm)Alex K Wrote: Can you quickly summarize for me what personality type I am if I never feel an inclination to view internet cats? Am I evil or something?

From the research:

Quote:These analyses demonstrated that higher frequency of viewing Internet cats was positively and significantly associated with cat affinity, cat ownership (current and past), pet assistance behaviors, agreeableness, shyness, and affective support. Frequency of viewing was negatively and significantly associated with emotional stability, with negative values of emotional stability similar to higher trait anxiety/neuroticism (Gosling et al., 2003). There was no significant association with extraversion, conscientiousness, openness to experiences, or wellbeing.

So maybe you are an emotionally stable person who does not have a cat affinity.

Also, though, one cannot really come to any firm conclusions from this one paper:

Quote:Like all social science endeavors, the present study comes with a number of limitations. The survey did not use a random, representative sample of Internet users, and therefore the results are not necessarily generalizable to all Internet users or all fans of online cat-related media. In particular, most respondents in this sample were female and more work is needed to see if and why there might be gender differences in attraction to Internet cats. Additionally, the measures of emotional states used in this study were retrospective self-reports and are susceptible to forgetfulness and/or exaggeration. Experiments are needed to advance this line of work and demonstrate causality. Furthermore, the cross-sectional nature of this survey makes it impossible to definitively establish a causal link between consumption of Internet cat media and emotional states. Experimental work is needed to confirm mood management motivations for looking at online cat content as well as to test the effects of online cat media on Internet users’ emotional states.

However, this initial study provides the groundwork for scholars interested in this Internet phenomenon. Future studies could also use sentiment analysis of comments posted on online cat-related media or psychophysiological measures taken during real-time viewing to see if these techniques provide similar results. In-depth interviews may provide rich context and nuanced insights as to why and to what effect Internet users view cat videos and photos.

So, no, there is no conclusion that you are evil.  If it makes you feel better, I don't watch many cat videos online either.  I just stumbled upon this paper and thought it was interesting.

(July 27, 2015 at 9:50 pm)Iroscato Wrote:

German.

#casualracism

Well maybe, but German Sheperds riding roombas dressed in a shark costume don't really do it for me either.

Ok ok the roomba one was adorable.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Uncle K, what do you mean by your custom user title, telling us that you feel air from another planet?

Superficially, it is a piece of lyrics from Schönberg's second string quartet. If you wanted to think that it also transports a deeper ironic meaning pertaining to my current situation, you could, but it is in no way encouraged because that would be a silly and inappropriate use of very serious art.

I see now I should have simply searched for it, but I did not realize it was a quotation. And I see that it fits with your current profile picture. I prefer the line:

"Durstende zunge darbt nach dem weine."

That would fit me better, though your immediate situation has given you the idea for your chosen line. I think if I were in your situation, the above line would still fit me better.

Teehee, Ich darbe after all kinds of things right now Smile
Had a very nice Spätburgunder for dinner today though, which my uncle made and my visiting parents brought from home. It served to flush down spaghetti and a pesto à la Alex from dried tomatoes, roasted pine nuts, fresh basil and an old gruyere to die for.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Genius Edward Witten, could he help to intensify artificial intelligence research? ThoughtCurvature 1 1007 September 5, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  When religion is at odds with climate change research Aegon 24 2858 December 28, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Old bible or quran finds important? Not as important as this The Valkyrie 10 1531 June 1, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Research fail geckomamasita 11 4005 September 21, 2015 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: geckomamasita
  Important Debate Question Ksa 24 4028 May 21, 2014 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.