Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Cambell, any good?
Is "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Cambell, any good?
I have the six part series by Joseph Cambell interviewed by Bill Moyers.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Myth
Is it worth watching? Is it some religious stuff or is it more atheism based?

What say ye?
RE: Is "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Cambell, any good?
(May 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm)rax Wrote: I have the six part series by Joseph Cambell interviewed by Bill Moyers.

What say ye?

If you want to delve into the reason WHY people are they way they are then this seems a relevant series to watch. Just keep an open and sceptical mind and see. Could be interesting.

What is your focus?? (perspective?)
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm)rax Wrote: I have the six part series by Joseph Cambell interviewed by Bill Moyers.

What say ye?

I haven't seen the series, but I have read a number of books by Campbell. He was a sort of woolly mystic, and certainly no atheist. The great virtue of his work is that he treats all religious systems as equal- they're all myths as far as he's concerned, and he's very good at comparing them and classifying them.

The problem with Campbell from an atheist perspective is that he clearly believes that myths point towards some underlying transcendental truth. Whereas I'd say that the main thing that they point towards is the unlimited human capacity for wishful thinking and self-deception.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
(May 9, 2010 at 4:01 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:

What say ye?

If you want to delve into the reason WHY people are they way they are then this seems a relevant series to watch. Just keep an open and sceptical mind and see. Could be interesting.

What is your focus?? (perspective?)

I'm interested in myths and how they came about. The series looked good but seems pro-God or pro-Jesus. I consider God and Jesus to be myth, so, I don't put much stock into what he is saying. I don't feel like watching something where I have to sort out the facts from the fantasy right now. If that's what I'll end up having to do, I'll watch it later, when I'm interested in doing that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Read any good books lately? Rate them here Ravenshire 505 69860 October 13, 2019 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Read any good magazine articles lately ?? vorlon13 4 721 May 21, 2017 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The power of the Holy Ghost!!! Gessle 2 839 January 12, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Read any good books lately? Ravenshire 26 5688 August 6, 2014 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The power of prayer Dotard 19 4336 January 9, 2010 at 6:44 am
Last Post: Zen Badger