Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read any good books lately?
Read any good books lately?
Read any good books lately? Let's hear about 'em here!

Currently:
Re-reading the "Company" books by Kage Baker (RIP Kage!). Interesting sci-fi yarn about immortal time-traveling slaves, the "company" that created them and the revenge they take.

Recently read:
"Act of Will" and Will Power" by A.J. Hartley. Comedic fantasy following the bumbling heroics of our charmingly daft protagonist Will Hawthorn.

"Steelheart" and "Mitosis" (Reckoners universe) by Brandon Sanderson. Sanderson's take on the superhero genre. There are no superheros or traditional super villains. There are only Epics. Universally evil and universally power hungry. The Reckoners universe is a bit of a different take on a tried and true (or done to death, depending on your point of view) genre. They're light reads with good action but can still leave you thinking. Side note: Firefight is coming this fall!!! Can't wait!

"Tears in Rain" by Rosa Montero. A spin off of the "Bladerunner" universe, Montero takes the basic idea and makes it her own. If you enjoyed "Bladerunner" or just that type of dark, dystopian fiction, this one's a must read.

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Kline. 2044 and the world is a dystopian nightmare, but that has little to do with the story. Set mostly within the virtual reality of the time, "Ready Player One" is a ligh-hearted, fast paced cruise down memory lane with so many 80's references that you'll feel like Max Headroom when your done.

On deck:
Currently no idea what I'll be reading after I'm done with the Kage Baker books but I'm sure it'll be something. My current "to read" list is approximately 234,429 (only slightly exaggerated) items long and always growing.

So, come on. Tell me what you're reading/have read, recent or not. I am quite literally always looking for new reads.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
RE: Read any good books lately?
I got like 70 old sci fi books for Christmas, and I'm still going through them (currently "Icerigger" by Alan Dean Foster).

Also reading (I'm always reading several books at the same time):

Prince of the Blood, Ray Feist
Empty Mansions, Bill Dedman
Bag of Bones, Stephen King (reading it to my wife at night)
World War Z, Max Brooks
World War I, S. L. A. Marshall
Is "Icerigger" any good? I've found Mr. Foster's work to be rather hit and miss though his "Tipping Point" trilogy was pretty good.
I've just finished re-reading Blood Meridian. It's one of those books where you're just in awe with the storytelling, even as the gore repulses you and risks giving you a relapse of your stomach problems.

Of course, I followed it with a Thurber chaser; "The Mysterious O" is a very underrated book.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I just finished re-reading James Joyce's Dubliners and am about to start his A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man as lead-up to the Bloomsday event I hope to attend on the 16th.

Also, I am reading Christian Meier's Caesar: A Biography.
(May 28, 2014 at 8:39 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Is "Icerigger" any good? I've found Mr. Foster's work to be rather hit and miss though his "Tipping Point" trilogy was pretty good.

It's pretty good so far, but I'm only about 30 pages in so far. This is the first time I've read anything by this fella.
(June 3, 2014 at 2:17 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote:
(May 28, 2014 at 8:39 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Is "Icerigger" any good? I've found Mr. Foster's work to be rather hit and miss though his "Tipping Point" trilogy was pretty good.

It's pretty good so far, but I'm only about 30 pages in so far. This is the first time I've read anything by this fella.

Wow. Alan Dean Foster's been writing for a long time. First thing I read of his was "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" back in the seventies. Not bad for a "Star Wars" universe book that was written before most of the canon was revealed. It got a lot of stuff wrong in hind-sight, but was still a pretty good read.

If you like "Star Wars" universe fiction, the series of Han Solo books written by A.C. Crispin (RIP Anne) are quite good. Much of Han Solo's back story is covered.

Side note: Why are all my favorite authors dying?!? ARRRRRRRRRRGH!
I'm reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley right now - on loan from a Starbucks friend. It's okay. Cute. I have four more in the series after this one is finished. I'm reading it before I go to bed so I tend to fall asleep in the middle of chapters so I'm not remembering much of it. :p

And still pounding away at my non-fiction pile, slowly but surely.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I have been reading lots of books by English Victorian author George Gissing. they are all free on Kindle. The last three I read were:
The Odd Women
The Unclassed
The Nether World.

All great.
My favorite author of all time is Jack Vance, who died a little while ago. I re-read his all the time.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
(June 28, 2014 at 8:54 am)vodkafan Wrote: My favorite author of all time is Jack Vance, who died a little while ago. I re-read his all the time.

I've been meaning to get to some Jack Vance but I've never known where to start. Got any recommendations?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Read any good books lately? Rate them here Ravenshire 505 69818 October 13, 2019 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Read any good magazine articles lately ?? vorlon13 4 721 May 21, 2017 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  SNL has been killing it lately Aegon 19 2134 February 19, 2017 at 12:35 am
Last Post: scoobysnack
  Bill Maher Real Time - Republicunt Books Minimalist 0 969 January 17, 2015 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Celebs read mean tweets. Jacob(smooth) 1 1115 February 12, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Lee Strobel books Forsaken 2 1260 January 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Music Deep lyrics - Read... JohnDG 0 1435 January 25, 2012 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: JohnDG
  Is "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Cambell, any good? rax 3 2443 May 9, 2010 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: rax
  Read a poem aloud.. Darwinian 19 6132 April 27, 2010 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Christians can't read billboards - Philhellenes leo-rcc 12 4030 November 27, 2009 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: fr0d0