Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:52 pm

Poll: Is AF.org in an Echo Chamber?
This poll is closed.
No, we're a varied bunch.
85.71%
12 85.71%
Yes - and you should vote this too!
14.29%
2 14.29%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo Chamber
Echo Chamber
If you wonder what I mean by "Echo Chamber", check this link out.

Do you think it can be a bit off-put that, as a more-or-less homogeneous irreligious group, we tend to be in an echo chamber?

If that's too much of a word salad, what I mean is: Do you think we have too little of interaction with other people here on AF.org that disagree with the party line?

I was inspired by an old post on here, that in a Christian forum people tended to be very agreeable with what other Christians posted and overall very strict on being cordial and what words  were used, to the point of overreaching above and beyond to merely filtering out swear words. Fuck that.

I just hope I don't have a blind spot, and that I'm not in a sorts of echo chamber when it comes to discussing theists, is all.

Atheists, after all, only agree on a single sentiment - the rest is up for grabs.

What do you think? Am I just talking out my ass or is there something to it?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
RE: Echo Chamber
There is more than enough insanity with theists in real life, I'd say this little sanctuary is pretty good as it is. Besides, it is pretty relaxed on rules, and theists do get to speak their minds as long as sanity permits
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I don't think it's possible to have a group without some group-think going on, but as you probably know, all one has to do is take a surf over to a Christian forum to see what an echo chamber looks like.  Undecided

Besides, I have faith, Holy Spirit, and I worship Gwyneth Paltrow! 
Dog Bone

There ain't no group I ain't an outlier in. Tongue
Didn't know we had a party line. Based on the AF demographics I'm not surprised that we "echo" each others positions/sentiments frequently.

As far as ass kissing, wash it first, then I'll take it into consideration.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
If you wonder what I mean by "Echo Chamber", check this link out.

Do you think it can be a bit off-put that, as a more-or-less homogeneous irreligious group, we tend to be in an echo chamber?

If that's too much of a word salad, what I mean is: Do you think we have too little of interaction with other people here on AF.org that disagree with the party line?

I was inspired by an old post on here, that in a Christian forum people tended to be very agreeable with what other Christians posted and overall very strict on being cordial and what words  were used, to the point of overreaching above and beyond to merely filtering out swear words. Fuck that.

I just hope I don't have a blind spot, and that I'm not in a sorts of echo chamber when it comes to discussing theists, is all.

Atheists, after all, only agree on a single sentiment - the rest is up for grabs.

What do you think? Am I just talking out my ass or is there something to it?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(September 23, 2015 at 2:30 pm)Sal Wrote: What do you think? Am I just talking out my ass or is there something to it?

I dunno, maybe everyone will echo me if I say the former.
I second whatever you just said.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I just desperately need to know why a duck's quack doesn't produce an echo?
I believe this to be a supernatural phenomenon.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I think I remember it being about the initial sound being so loud and high pitched that you can't hear the echo under it, but don't quote me- that would be a duck's echo.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I think we have a broad range of opinions on many subjects here. I certainly don't agree with everyone about everything. There are things I would guess I'm very much in the minority about.

I feel the disagreement is generally treated as a healthy thing here, rather than something to throw a strop about. I really like the relaxed atmosphere.

When it comes to scepticism, there is going to be a certain amount of uniformity. It would be worrying if there wasn't! So all the bullshit subjects we tend to agree on. That they are bullshit. But we do get the odd person here and there with off-beat ideas. It seems most atheists here are sceptics, and I have no problem with that.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum