Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Religious people tend to be smarter"
"Religious people tend to be smarter"
So I read this on a site a while back and was wondering if there is any validity to it.

The site said "Religious people tend to be geniuses/smarter people more often because they can think outside of the box and find loopholes and different scenarios where their claims would still be accurate"

I was wondering if there was any truth to this.

On one hand, the reasoning for believers supposedly being "Smarter" than non-believers actually seems to make sense in this statement(not that it adds any validity to god existing).

On the other hand, i've yet to come in contact, or see a person that fits this description.
RE: "Religious people tend to be smarter"
PopcornPopcornPopcorn
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Any links?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 26, 2015 at 12:35 am)Kitan Wrote: Any links?

I forget what the site was, but it wouldn't add anything to the question.

I was just thinking about it and was curious about others views.
I shall provide you with a Dr. House quote, If religious people could reason, there would be no religious people.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It might mean they're more creative, but that is only one aspect of intelligence.

It's like assuming a very tall man must be good at basketball.

It might also be ex culo bullshit, but without any context, it's impossible to say.
Considering the percentage of religious people about, there's bound to be lots of smart ones. Despite their beliefs! I can't imagine an over representation of them though. Unless of course God is intervening! And we're all in agreeance on the chances of that happening.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Personally I wouldn't expect to see a meaningful difference between atheists and theists in overall intelligence.

Everyone who learns to survive in the world has at least part of their brain running like an atheist.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 26, 2015 at 2:19 am)robvalue Wrote: Personally I wouldn't expect to see a meaningful difference between atheists and theists in overall intelligence.

Everyone who learns to survive in the world has at least part of their brain running like an atheist.
That's actually a great answer. Thanks.