Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are massages good for you?
Are massages good for you?
I read an article not too long ago that massages are actually bad. If I told someone 'Hey, massages are bad.' They would probably say 'Well, feels good, so must be good'. I could respond 'Well, bacon fat is tastes good but isn't good for you.' I thought this argument was important when I was walking back home from work.

I compared the argument to an argument I was having with a classmate named Marko. Marko believes that because we have the ability to believe in a deity, there must be a deity. He said that part of our brain must have been created by a deity for us to be able to believe in deities and science just hasn't discovered it yet.

I tried to explain what I remembered from a speech by PZ Myers 'No Ghosts in The Brain'. PZ Myers explained that sometimes, what I believe to be especially for complex behaviors, the 'desired' trait which has benefits for reproduction or survival may bring about 'byproduct' traits. In Marko's case, appreciation for art and the ability to believe in deities was the byproduct of intelligence.

I don't remember if PZ Myers made the same comparison, but I compared the ability to appreciate art and believe in deities to male nipples. Men don't need nipples but male nipples are a byproduct of evolution. Marko countered that the byproduct of male nipples was only a genetic necessity since, according to him, 'the development of nipples occurs before the development of sex'. I'm not sure there is truth to his statement since sex is determined at the moment of conception (e.i. whether the sperm is an x chromosome or a y chromosome). I continued to tell Marko that the ability to appreciate art or believe in god's may as well be a 'genetic byproduct' just as nipples are.

He asked me to 'prove it'. Double-standard much.
RE: Are massages good for you?
Quote:Marko believes that because we have the ability to believe in a deity, there must be a deity.

Marko is an idiot who is desperately seeking vindication for his absurd belief in a sky-daddy.
Messages are good for you in moderation. They help loosen the muscles into a relaxed state, which aids in recovery and tissue growth. Always be sure to drink a lot of water afterwards, though, to avoid becoming sore or developing cramps.

Glad I could help.
If you enjoy it: it is good for you... even if it will kill you Sleepy

Which article suggests that massages are bad for you?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
everything in moderation > it's the joy of a partial ban, and I'd recommend it to you all.
I refuse to believe massages are bad.

Except that one time this dude burned my skin when he gave me one.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Lots of people get to 'give you one' it seems Big Grin
What are you talking about? I hardly ever get massages. D:

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Quote:Except that one time this dude burned my skin when he gave me one.

too..................many .............bad........jokes

must resist.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Well I was at a convention and bunch of us were drinking. I got really drunk and this dude wanted to give me a massage. Because I was drunk I didn't say "No, fuck off" He gave me one (And in case people are thinking it's leading anywhere kinky, IT'S NOT. ) It was a really strong massage, but with the alcohol acting as a painkiller, it didn't bother me as much as it should have. When I went to stay at my friends house I had trouble sleeping because my back hurt so much and I had the Duck Tales theme stuck in my head. The next morning we looked at my back and saw the dude had burned my skin by rubbing to hard. It actually started to peel.

The guy who did it wasn't a friend but just kinda someone you see at local cons. I think he's a creeper now and steer clear.

edit: My back hurts remembering this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good night good luck from dyresand 0 989 May 24, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand