Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long and the Short of it.
The Long and the Short of it.
The Long of it: Theists and Atheists the world over engage each other in discussions and debates about the existence and/or non-existence of ‘god’ on a regular basis. In fact, those very discussions and debates have been known to arise here, in these very forums, on occasion.

During these discussions and debates, each side will present their own philosophical reasons that god does or does not exist, neither side convincing the other to change their conclusion. Shortly after the discussion begins, it usually morphs into a multi-page argument over some pedantic philosophical point that lies parallel (or perhaps at a tangent) to the original point of the discussion.

Both sides fail to prove their contention to the satisfaction of the other. The discussion was enjoyable, we hope, to both sides… and inevitably proves to be pointless overall.

Taken a bit further, the discussion will usually come to the point of “It’s all a matter of Faith”, which derails the topic with several pages worth of semantic sparring over the meaning of the word ‘Faith’.

Sometimes the angle is science, rather than philosophy. The result is the same, except that the semantic sparring is over the word ‘Evidence’: Neither side convinces the other. The result, to an observer, appears to be a strengthening of the convictions of both sides of the discussion. What an amusingly illogical thing to happen. Perhaps neither side is really listening to the other and is, instead, gathering talking points to strengthen their own stance… having had no intention to consider the other side’s views.

Doesn’t matter. The point is that whether or not the contention that ‘god’ exists has been proven or disproven is never (has never been) and is unlikely to ever be… settled. So. What’s the point? (rhetorical)

The Short of it: Whether or not ‘god’ actually exists is not the real issue. It may appear to be the core issue, but it is actually secondary. The real issue is that, using our minds, imaginations, and perceptions, we arrive at entirely different conclusions. Some of us believe and some of us do not.

Why? Why do theists believe? Why don’t atheists? What makes us so different?

Drop the inter-cranial philosophical stuff and explain yourself. What are the reasons that you believe? What are the reasons you do not? Those ‘reasons’ are certainly debatable, but let’s try to be forthright and forego the pedantic/semantic sparring and the philosophical meanderings that do not do anything to answer the original question. Just to see if it can be done.
RE: The Long and the Short of it.
1. God's existence can never be proved either way. It cannot be known. (thus ruling out science)
2. Christian faith is the committed trust in information that you accept to be true > with faith we believe
3. Atheists either have no information that they accept, or if they do accept it, trust it enough to commit to it.
(May 15, 2010 at 11:25 am)fr0d0 Wrote: 1. God's existence can never be proved either way. It cannot be known. (thus ruling out science)
2. Christian faith is the committed trust in information that you accept to be true > with faith we believe
3. Atheists either have no information that they accept, or if they do accept it, trust it enough to commit to it.

These are the reasons that you, personally, believe that god exists? I'm not seeing them as 'reasons' for belief. What are your reasons?
No. 2 : Primarily, I am committed to and trust the information I have (biblical text) which I accept to be true. Secondly, there's personal experience to substantiate the former.
I revert to my username, Bozo, which name is a character in George Orwell's " Down and out in Paris and London ".
Bozo is a tramp, bottom of the heap:-

" He was an embittered atheist ( the sort of atheist who does not so much disbelieve in God as personally dislike him ) " ......

I do not believe in God because there is no attraction in such belief for me, whereas it seems to me theists NEED to believe in the highly improbable.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
There is no evidence for the existance of a god or gods so I dont believe.

I also dislike the idea of gods because.

1: The god hypothosis is used instead of reason.
2: Religious dogma is used to control and oppress.
3: It invariably stagnates society.
4: It makes people very very annoying.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I'll spare you a lengthy deconversion story, the primary reason for my lack of belief in any concept of god(s) or deities is that non-belief is always the default position when addressing extraordinary claims. Unsupported claims should not be accepted as true, unless sufficient evidence is presented, hence my disbelief in such claims.

I reason why I believe in the Invisible Pink Unicorn is because reality without her is a scary place so...I BELIEVE. I tried to imagine reality without her to guide it and I couldn’t make any sense of it so...I BELIEVE. Worship
Because of this.

[Image: cosmicjewishzombie.jpg]

The whole story is fucking ludicrous.
I don't believe in god(s) because I have never seen one. Furthermore, many of the other beliefs (apart from just belief in god) of those that do believe in god(s) are so ridiculous to me, that I can't take their word for it. Most believers make themselves unreliable, in my eyes, by believing obvious lies (excluding their belief in god, which can not be proven to be a lie). Therefore, I can't believe them when they say that god(s) exists and their testimony is the only 'proof' of god(s) that exists.
Define "God"

:p
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 23152 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus
Brick An hour long stay WinterHold 3 944 November 25, 2017 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Religious education (short video) Zenith 15 2223 January 21, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Question about the whole NDE concept and Dr. Jeffrey Long Violeta-1998 51 6859 November 21, 2016 at 10:23 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Short message for the Religious Heat 6 1498 December 22, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Long term advice when debating theists. Brian37 33 6834 May 6, 2015 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  And if you are wrong , eternity is a long time. Artur Axmann 188 51592 June 6, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: archangle
  Our work isn't done by a long shot Rokcet Scientist 0 1144 November 28, 2011 at 6:18 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Short facebook debate for other people's amusement EggSpurt 8 3473 April 22, 2010 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Minimalist