Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Is Cool.
This Is Cool.
The lengths that some scholars will go to.

An audio file of someone reading the Epic of Gilgamesh in the original Akkadian language.

https://soundcloud.com/user444756202/th ... arl-hecker
RE: This Is Cool.
I'm a geek for this kind of stuff. I love ancient pre-Abrahamic-religion history. Can't understand any of it obviously but it's so cool to hear it.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Awesomeness.
Dying to live, living to die.
That's amazing. Makes me want to rush out into the back garden and build a ziggurat.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I really liked the part where he talked about the goat on the hill.
(October 13, 2015 at 2:55 pm)Napoléon Wrote: I really liked the part where he talked about the goat on the hill.

If only the Akkadians had copyrighted the story of the flood.  The Christians would owe them billions.
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 13, 2015 at 2:34 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That's amazing.  Makes me want to rush out into the back garden and build a ziggurat.

Boru

Just don't build a fucking ark.
(October 13, 2015 at 3:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(October 13, 2015 at 2:34 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That's amazing.  Makes me want to rush out into the back garden and build a ziggurat.

Boru

Just don't build a fucking ark.

Oddly enough, I was recently reading about a group of maritime archaeologists who, based on some cuneiform accounts of the Mesopotamian flood myth, attempted to construct a round ark, sort of like a giant currach. Turns out, they could only construct one about 1/3 the size of the one in the myth without it falling to bits under its own weight.

So, when it comes to flood stories, the Mesopotamians are as fucked as the Judeo-Christians. That's the kind of religious equality I like.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I saw that special the other day.  I think it was on NOVA. 

It didn't fall apart.  It sank.  They tried to build it on a lake in India because there is a little bit of trouble in Iraq right now...as you may know.  The bitumen which was available in India was not as good as that which is found in Iraq.  It was also round, a common type of boat called a coracle.
(October 13, 2015 at 2:56 pm)Beccs Wrote: If only the Akkadians had copyrighted the story of the flood.  The Christians would owe them billions.

There's also a nice garden story in the epic. Complete with snake and temptress.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This Is Pretty Cool Minimalist 7 715 December 7, 2018 at 8:40 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Cool and Distressing At The Same Time BrianSoddingBoru4 2 548 August 6, 2016 at 7:39 am
Last Post: ukatheist
  This is very cool.. Minimalist 9 2172 December 27, 2015 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet