Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Is Pretty Cool
This Is Pretty Cool
These are photos taken from the Normandy campaign in 1944.  If you click on the photo it shows you what it looks like 70 years later in 2014.
The scars of war can be healed.  At least on the landscape.

https://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/201...l?ww2-dday
RE: This Is Pretty Cool
That is really well done.

Thanks for posting.
Dying to live, living to die.
Mad cool, Min. I read somewhere that something like 4% of the beach sand at Normandy is actually tiny bits of metal from the invasion. Staggering.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Nice, but a bit sad the way those fellas vanish like ghosts.

(December 3, 2018 at 4:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Mad cool, Min. I read somewhere that something like 4% of the beach sand at Normandy is actually tiny bits of metal from the invasion. Staggering.

Boru

Unlikely.
(December 3, 2018 at 5:37 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(December 3, 2018 at 4:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Mad cool, Min. I read somewhere that something like 4% of the beach sand at Normandy is actually tiny bits of metal from the invasion. Staggering.

Boru

Unlikely.

That's what I thought.

Microscopic Images of the Sands of Normandy Show Presence of War Sand

Quote:Geologist Earle McBride, from the University of Texas at Austin, states that up to 4% of the sand of the beaches of Normandy is made up of this shrapnel. The sand-sized fragments of steel are magnetic and easily discernible under a microscope. The artificial landscape of eroded machinery is still detectable using special instruments in the coastal dunes. At the present rate of deterioration, the magnetic particles will probably be wiped from the sands in another 100 years.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I still think it.

Boru

The D-Day landings were conducted by infantry divisions with some tank support. The beaches were then used for landing troops and supplies until the Channel ports were liberated and returned to working order. Ships, truck, tanks and feet crossed those beaches for a good while after June 6th, 1944. It would therefore be obvious that the bulk of metallic debris in those sands would be from post-D-day traffic.
(December 3, 2018 at 4:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: These are photos taken from the Normandy campaign in 1944.  If you click on the photo it shows you what it looks like 70 years later in 2014.
The scars of war can be healed.  At least on the landscape.

https://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/201...l?ww2-dday

Thanks for share.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cool and Distressing At The Same Time BrianSoddingBoru4 2 559 August 6, 2016 at 7:39 am
Last Post: ukatheist
  This is very cool.. Minimalist 9 2184 December 27, 2015 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  This Is Cool. Minimalist 16 2567 October 14, 2015 at 9:45 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon