Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collegiate Honor Societies?
Collegiate Honor Societies?
So now that my midterm grades are posted, I am getting offers from these collegiate honor societies.

So far:
Phi Kappa Phi
Gamma Beta Phi
Golden Key

Has anyone on these forums ever been a member of one of these (or similar) societies? I know Phi Beta Kappa is the one to be in, and I will have to wait until next year when I get invitations for those. Is it worth it? Has anyone gotten any benefit for joining?

Basically PKP is top 10% of your class, Golden Key is top 15%, and Gamma Beta Phi is something else, I haven't looked at their website yet.

They are membership dues type deals, so there is a cost (like $80 a year or lifetime for like $400)

Advice?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Collegiate Honor Societies?
Is there beer?
Not a fraternity, but I'd assume their functions would have alcohol.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I'm sure college is different. I wasn't impressed with the NHS bullshit in high school.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I say golden key, if only because the name sounds the coolest.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(October 21, 2015 at 1:18 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I say golden key, if only because the name sounds the coolest.

If you get invited to join the Illunimati, do that!
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Don't join unless you have some reason to be uppity and snooty. I had acquaintances that joined because they were expected to run in those circles after graduating.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
These things do not appeal to me unless they confer some sort of benefit. I do not plan to be active, but to use it for resume fodder.

But if "Invited to join Phi Kappa Phi" looks marginally the same as "Member of Phi Kappa Phi" on a resume, then no sense in giving them $80 bucks a year.

Also, there is the added benefit of networking at events if I do go. Good job opportunities come from that.

(October 21, 2015 at 1:45 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: These things do not appeal to me unless they confer some sort of benefit. I do not plan to be active, but to use it for resume fodder.

But if "Invited to join Phi Kappa Phi" looks marginally the same as "Member of Phi Kappa Phi" on a resume, then no sense in giving them $80 bucks a year.

Also, there is the added benefit of networking at events if I do go. Good job opportunities come from that.

Invitations to join Phi Kappa Phi appears to be based solely on your ranking amongst the smarty-pants of your university so unless you're future employer values your GPA over everything else I don't know how much of an incentive it would be to join.

If your goal is to use it as mere resume fodder, you might consider joining for the $80/year until you get a good job, then drop your membership because who gives a shit what clubs you belong to if you've got work experience?
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(October 21, 2015 at 1:42 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote:
(October 21, 2015 at 1:18 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I say golden key, if only because the name sounds the coolest.

If you get invited to join the Illunimati, do that!

Who would not want to burn a effigy of a child in front of a Babylonian god that sounds like Walter Cronkite.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Honor between soldiers/fighters? Macoleco 62 3933 November 22, 2016 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  In honor of Summer: The something nice to say thread Shell B 84 21572 April 16, 2012 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Rangers will honor late fan with ballpark statue Judas BentHer 5 1569 August 16, 2011 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist