Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 9:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here are several of my views...
Here are several of my views...
1. Christians are a bunch of backwoods hicks.
When you try to make a point across them the reply:"The Lord moves in mysterious ways."
If I got a dollar for every time I've heard that, I would be a trillionare.

2. God is just like Santa or the Easter Bunny.

3. The universe wasn't made by a bunch of magic tricks.

4. War is not the answer.

5. Darwin is correct.

6. Humans can solve their own problems without "God" reaching down with a big fat hand and helping us!

7. Christians are lazy because they take the easy way out instead of learning so the say "God did it".
Anybody seen a simpsons episode like that?

If you are a Christian and think I'm wrong, call 503-KISS-MYASS.
RE: Here are several of my views...
Can't disagree with you, welcome.
1. is a baseless assumption, perhaps the Christians you've spoken with. If you can't have an open mind, then you're just as bad as those "hicks" you're attacking.
2. yoiu're entitled to that opinion, I would expect no less from an atheist.
3. agreed
4.agreed
5. On what points?
6. agreed
7.see 1

an apatheist I presume or a militant hard atheist?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Welcome, religionsucks. Other than the gross generalizations, I agree with you.
(June 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm)religionsucks Wrote: 1. Christians are a bunch of backwoods hicks.
When you try to make a point across them the reply:"The Lord moves in mysterious ways."

Do you have anything to support this statement?

Quote:2. God is just like Santa or the Easter Bunny.

I disagree. Is Gandalf just like Harry Potter because they are both fictional characters that know magic? Sleepy

Quote:3. The universe wasn't made by a bunch of magic tricks.

On what evidence do you have to make this assertion? I was under the impression that we have a lack of evidence for the position that 'the universe was made by a bunch of magic tricks'... without any evidence to the contrary.

Quote:4. War is not the answer.

To what question? :S

Quote:5. Darwin is correct.

What about?

Quote:6. Humans can solve their own problems without "God" reaching down with a big fat hand and helping us!

Not necessarily. If we are already presuming this 'God' to exist, it would have to depend on how it is defined, and further its relation to humans and their ability to solve problems.

Quote:7. Christians are lazy because they take the easy way out instead of learning so the say "God did it".

By what evidence do you make this assertion?

Quote:If you are a Christian and think I'm wrong, call 503-KISS-MYASS.

I am not a christian, and my opinion is that you are wrong.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm)religionsucks Wrote: 1. Christians are a bunch of backwoods hicks.

All of them? How...?

(June 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm)religionsucks Wrote: 2. God is just like Santa or the Easter Bunny.

Ehm... On what points are "God" like "Santa" or "Easter Bunny"...?

(June 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm)religionsucks Wrote: 3. The universe wasn't made by a bunch of magic tricks.

Depends on what you mean by "magic"...

(June 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm)religionsucks Wrote: 4. War is not the answer.

What was the question?

(June 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm)religionsucks Wrote: 5. Darwin is correct.

He's correct on... What?

(June 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm)religionsucks Wrote: 6. Humans can solve their own problems without "God" reaching down with a big fat hand and helping us!

Probably, yes...

(June 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm)religionsucks Wrote: 7. Christians are lazy because they take the easy way out instead of learning so the say "God did it".

Ehm... All of them?
Realy now...

(June 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm)religionsucks Wrote: If you are a Christian and think I'm wrong, call 503-KISS-MYASS.

I'm not, and i think your wrong on some points.

Oh...
---------------------------------------------------------

Welcome religionsucks!!!
DevilTiny TigerDevil
I have a secret and it is down below!

Amazing. That has got to be one of the crappiest lists of assertions and vague statements I've seen in a long while. Big Grin

Welcome tot the forums, religionsucks, I hope you enjoy your stay.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Welcome.

I agree more so with the sentiments of your post and less so with the specifics Wink

EvF
It's been my experience that less than 1% of Christians are a bunch of backwoods hicks. It's also been my experience that roughly the same percentage of atheists fall in that category too. I don't think there is a particular correlation; I just think there are quite a few backwoods hicks out there.

Quote:2. God is just like Santa or the Easter Bunny.
I don't believe God exists. I have yet to make my mind up about Santa and the Easter Bunny (hey, at least I got actual presents from them).

Ridiculous. Everyone knows the Big Bang was in the top hat...next to the rabbit.

Quote:4. War is not the answer.
True. Unless the question is "By what method do humans fuck everything up?"

Quote:5. Darwin is correct.
About natural selection, yeah. I think that was about the scope of his abilities.

Quote:6. Humans can solve their own problems without "God" reaching down with a big fat hand and helping us!
Well I've never heard of God reaching down with a big fat hand and helping out, so I guess you win this one by default. If I recall correctly, the last time God tried to help out, he sent his only son down to be viciously murdered, and if I'm quite honest, I don't think it helped that much.

Quote:7. Christians are lazy because they take the easy way out instead of learning so the say "God did it".
Dude, we have Sundays off and you think Christians are the lazy ones? What planet are you living on?!?
(June 5, 2010 at 3:05 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
Ridiculous. Everyone knows the Big Bang was in the top hat...next to the rabbit.
Actually the rabbit is what banged the buggering shithole into existence. It's my life story really.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have made several accounts Rufius 15 2941 November 20, 2014 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Violet
  Hello I am new here. I am an ex christian and here are some of my beliefs p90powa 23 6726 June 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Pandas United