Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veterans Day/ Thank You and OP/ED
Veterans Day/ Thank You and OP/ED
Thank you Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and National Guard...........

But to me this isn't a Hollywood, cliche "honor" "courage" yadda yadda thank you. It is bittersweet. I wish there were no military in the world ad all. I wish my species would use diplomacy instead of weapons. But no, I will not say that one party states or theocracies are better, nor would I say that the west gets everything right. Our species is imperfect and unfortunately we come to blows.

In the west, our military are diverse in individual members, from private to Generals. They come from all economic, political and religious backgrounds and even atheists serve.  If we seek a more peaceful world, then the best thing we can do AS A SPECIES, is to value our fellow humans who serve by making war a last resort and exhaust all diplomatic paths.

We can value service as civilians who did not serve without glorifying violence and war. War is a blight on humanity and our species failure to understand we are the same species. I still in that accept there will be an unfortunate need to have those selfless people who risk their lives to protect us. 

I don't have the emotional strength to serve myself, but I am damned glad there are those who do. THANK YOU!
RE: Veterans Day/ Thank You and OP/ED
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/.../75141688/

Quote:Pentagon paid sports teams millions for patriotic events

Last night before the Rangers - Carolina game they pulled one of these blessed-be-the-troops routines at Madison Square Garden and all I could think of was, "how much did you get paid for this show?"
Yea, nobody is saying we shouldn't get rid of corruption. I am talking about individuals. If we had no military we'd be speaking German right now.
The Russians were kicking the Germans' asses.
The sentiments are appreciated, Brian, thanks.

If you want to thank a veteran, the best thing you can do is vigorously exercise your rights.

(November 11, 2015 at 12:19 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If we had no military we'd be speaking German right now.

It was the Britain and France that declared war on Germany, not the other way round. Hitler had no interest in going west, he was looking east. We chose to fight with one dictator (Stalin) against another dictator (Hitler). We should have just left Germany and Russia to fight it out. Stalin was responsible for a greater number of deaths than Hitler when the allies declared war.

Besides, Germany is now economically strong because it hasn't been burdened with a military for so long after the second world war. One reason why it's so important for me to learn the German language right now.
Just to clarify my previous post, my rant is aimed at the politicians who send good people off to die for the sake of political cock waving.
Thank you, Brian. I don't think of myself as deserving of anything special because of my military service (no I'm a Veteran bumper sticker or anything of the sort) but I certainly appreciate the sentiment.

Great suggestion Thumpalumpacus. Yeah, everybody get up on that soapbox and exercise your freedom of speech. That's what its all about. That ought to be a Veteran's Day tradition. Get loud and obnoxious - even if what you have to say is anti-veterans. Some people will get pissed but the people who did military service for the right reasons will understand.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Saw this on twitter today. The more I learn about the first world war the more my blood boils.

1000 men of 79th Cameron Highlanders 27 survived!!

[Image: CThjKQ3WEAE7HGn.jpg]

[Image: CThjK6_XIAAyZrX.jpg]
My wife's maiden name is Cameron. Her late father was from Kilkregan, Scottland. He was a POW in WWII.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein