Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why be discouraged?
Why be discouraged?
Why do people get discouraged when others point out how insignificant we are on this planet in comparison to the entire universe?

Obviously insignificant is a condescending word, but for some reason, I see this as motivational. I have avoided saying this specifically because people associate negative meaning with it, whereas I see it as hopeful.. The way I see it, the realization of how insignificant I am as a single person in this vast array of the universe only makes me want to strive to be significant.

It gives me hope, and self-determination that there is still so much left to give significance to.. I see it as not intimidating at all, what would be much more intimidating is knowing we are significant in the universe, because there's nothing left to accomplish. Knowing we are insignificant reminds me of how much room is left to make your mark on history. It tells me "You really have the potential to do much more than all those brilliant people you see as having achieved what is out of reach", knowing just how much we have yet to accomplish. Not to be rude, but I think the people who see this fact as intimidating need to believe in themselves more. Obviously we do not all share a view of becoming cosmologists, but to put a common saying in literal terms, that's what we should all believe is possible to achieve, that's all that's left that has not been achieved. Cliche, but reach for the stars, because out of all the people who have said that no one has reached them yet, so why can't you be the first?

And when you look at it on a scale that big, you realize that the intelligence gap you thought seperated you from Da Vinci or Einstein is really quite small in comparison. I didn't mean to turn this in to an inspirational poem, but that's what seems to happen a lot of the time I get thinking about big subjects like this.

However to quote whoever this saying originated from, as I don't know, "It's not about the size of a man's IQ, it's how he uses it"
Our insignificance in the universal timescale doesn't discourage me because it means that in comparison to something as small as 20 IQ points difference, the gap I pessimistically think will hold me back from achieving the lengths of great inventors, really is nonexistent in comparison, and with that, no matter who you are, anyone can do something great at any time.

It's a mindset people, don't be discouraged. Stay positive. Smile

[Oh, and if you're going to get mad at me for continuing to post these "sunshiney" "feel good" posts like 'some' individuals did on my thread in the Philosophy section, sincerely, fuuuuuuck you. I'll continue to post what I find meaningful to me, if you don't find any meaning from it, that sounds like a personal issue.]
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Why be discouraged?
Because most people already realize they're insignificant on the micro-scale, nevermind the macro.
You don't need to tell someone whos 50 years old and working as a garbage disposal guy they mean nothing in the scheme of things.
He already knows and no, he doesn't feel inspired.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(November 17, 2015 at 3:33 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Because most people already realize they're insignificant on the micro-scale, nevermind the macro.
You don't need to tell someone whos 50 years old and working as a garbage disposal guy they mean nothing in the scheme of things.
True. However, I think that he probably didn't think about that, even though he knew it, to preserve his self confidence. Not to be harsh, just saying, I think if people took more notice to this instead of ignoring it because they associate it with being discouraging they would eventually find it having the opposite effect, and giving them encouragement.

Or maybe this just applies to me. If it does, then you can consider this me explaining why I might have this view and no one else does.

Or maybe I just will go for a week at a time without posting and then all the sudden post 30 times in a time span of four hours because I feel like unloading my ideas.

Wink Shades
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
(November 17, 2015 at 3:38 am)heatiosrs Wrote:
(November 17, 2015 at 3:33 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Because most people already realize they're insignificant on the micro-scale, nevermind the macro.
True. However, I think that he probably didn't think about that, even though he knew it, to preserve his self confidence. Not to be harsh, just saying, I think if people took more notice to this instead of ignoring it because they associate it with being discouraging they would eventually find it having the opposite effect, and giving them encouragement.

Or maybe this just applies to me. If it does, then you can consider this me explaining why I might have this view and no one else does.

Or maybe I just will go for a week at a time without posting and then all the sudden post 30 times in a time span of four hours because I feel like unloading my ideas.

Wink Shades

I'm honestly not trying to dampen the vibe but I can say I think about it alot. I look at HD pictures and videos of space frequently, look at statistics that promote me to question things I will never know the answers to and yes. The universe is impressive. But do I find the idea that I'm just a tiny part of a near infinite universe inspiring?
No. I'm going to die. Horribly. I won't see most of it. Yes yes, maybe my distant relatives will but fuck them. I wanted to see it. When I close my eyes for the last time it will almost certainly be on earth. If I'm lucky I may have lived a life that benefited and was useful to others. In the near impossible scenario everything works out and I'm highly educated, wealthy and happy its still a fact that none of it mattered even if we were just to reference it on a earthly or national scale. The people who I helped or hindered will be dead shortly before or after I am. Yes ripples will be set in montion but so what? I'm dead at this point. I don't care. The only meaning it could possibly have that might be significant is the meaning we place upon our lives and thats entirely subjective and biased.
It is neither an encouraging or discouraging thought. It simply is. I accept it, I move on and I keep moving until I can't move anymore.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

How do you know whether he feels inspired or not? A 50 years old rubbish man may enjoy collecting rubbish - he may see his role as utterly vital in (and rewarding to) his community. For all you know, he might wake up every day and think how completely and totally lucky he is that he is doing what he loves and getting paid for it. He may be so inspired by his life and his work that he strives to be the best rubbish collector possible.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Comparing IQs is overrated nonsense. Just try to do your best and see how far you get. There is always someone who's better. Einstein had David Hilbert mocking him for his limited understanding of differential geometry Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 17, 2015 at 4:51 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

How do you know whether he feels inspired or not?  A 50 years old rubbish man may enjoy collecting rubbish - he may see his role as utterly vital in (and rewarding to) his community.  For all you know, he might wake up every day and think how completely and totally lucky he is that he is doing what he loves and getting paid for it.  He may be so inspired by his life and his work that he strives to be the best rubbish collector possible.

Boru

Yes and he might also enjoy getting kicked in the bollocks regularly.
Its not very likely though, is it.
- Abdul Alhazred.
(November 17, 2015 at 5:49 am)RaphielDrake Wrote:
(November 17, 2015 at 4:51 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: How do you know whether he feels inspired or not?  A 50 years old rubbish man may enjoy collecting rubbish - he may see his role as utterly vital in (and rewarding to) his community.  For all you know, he might wake up every day and think how completely and totally lucky he is that he is doing what he loves and getting paid for it.  He may be so inspired by his life and his work that he strives to be the best rubbish collector possible.

Boru

Yes and he might also enjoy getting kicked in the bollocks regularly.
Its not very likely though, is it.

False equivalency. There's a huge difference between a 5-star nad-rattler and doing a job. Perfect example: My father was a farmer, and quite a successful one. He loved farming, he had a real passion for it. I, on the other hand, would rather walk on my lips through a sewage treatment plant than go back to that life.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I for example could have taken over the family winery, but of course I didn.....

Oh wait, I feel stupid now
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm sure you're getting just as blissfully drunk revelling in the glory of the new Higgs results! (without the hangover)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.