Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of Atheism?
The Future of Atheism?
Quote:Atheist Julian Baggini interviews Christian theologian Alister McGrath about atheism. McGrath describes the importance of keeping an open mind about the big questions of God’s existence, whether one is theist or atheist. He explains his view that atheism and religion will have periods of supremacy and periods of decline. He thinks religion is on the rise at the moment. One question he raises is about what people turn to when they face a crisis in life. He sees religion having real value at these points. With thanks to "ITN Source".

From BBC Learning includes a video.
RE: The Future of Atheism?
Quote:One question he raises is about what people turn to when they face a crisis in life. He sees religion having real value at these points.

LMFAO, I just loved that part.

That can apply whether it actually has any basis on reality or not.

I can't understand why so many people put the consoling aspect of religion above in importance over the truth aspect.

As far as I'm concerned I don't give a fuck about what good religion can bring if it's all nonsense. Delusion does harm.

EvF
Some people take solace in a bottle of booze, some people take solace in Jesus.

Just because it may work for some people doesn't vindicate it completely - all it simply states is that it 'worked' for those people. Of course, the definition of whether or not it operates fully is another matter of debate.
Why does a placebo have to have such delusional harmful bullshit amongst it? Surely there are better placebos!

EvF
So the question is 'what is the future of not believing in something that doesn't exist'?

Now let me think......

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I'm more concerned with the future of secularism. There will always be atheists.
(June 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: I'm more concerned with the future of secularism. There will always be atheists.

And always have been.

Sometimes they had to keep their heads down though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N0LMDAx79c

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 14, 2010 at 12:30 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(June 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: I'm more concerned with the future of secularism. There will always be atheists.

And always have been.

Sometimes they had to keep their heads down though.

Very true, which is why secularism is so important. No matter how few atheists there may be at a given time, it is important that we keep the right to remain atheist.
Quote:Some people take solace in a bottle of booze, some people take solace in Jesus.

At least the people who drink are dealing with a reality.
(June 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Some people take solace in a bottle of booze, some people take solace in Jesus.

At least the people who drink are dealing with a reality.

Absolutely. I've never been an alcoholic, but I've had my share of drug problems.

If I had to choose between going religious and taking up cocaine again?

No contest. Hello white powder. I was pretty fucked up back then, but at least I was sane.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche