Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Football Playoff selection
College Football Playoff selection
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Michigan State
4. Oklahoma

Any thoughts or preferences? Also, should the playoff expand? 8? 16? should there not be a playoff? Or maybe revert to just the Bowls?

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/articl...-announced
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: College Football Playoff selection
I think they got it right. I don't see any reason to expand it, regular season and conference championships should matter. This is coming from an Ohio State fan that would have benefited this year if there were 8 teams. In fact I pissed off fellow Buckeye friends before the results yesterday. Some of the faithful were saying that if UNC beat Clemson that OSU deserved to get in. I called bullshit and would have supported UNC getting in as ACC champs and beating the #1 team.

OSU should have taken care of MSU at home. Hell, Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame is nothing to sneeze at.

I'll stay Big 10 and pull for Michigan State, although I think both Alabama and Clemson are stronger.
I note on the local news tonite a brief sports commentary on the Nebraska Corn Huskers getting a bowl invite despite a 5/7 record.

Apparently to salve all their bruised feelings, they are jumping on being the FIRST (Yea !! Go Team !!) 5/7 team to get a bowl.

(you probably need to have lived around here for decades to develop an appreciation for the angst, drama and pathos surrounding Nebraska football)

Your typical Nebraska football fan is wound just a TEENY TINY bit too tight.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

At first I was miffed that Oklahoma slid to #4, because I think Clemson and OU are the two best teams in the country and would have loved to see them in the final rather than the semifinal, but the more I think about it the more I think the order's right.

I mean, MSU was #5, but due to the nature of the Big 10 championship it was really like Iowa and MSU were both #4.5. And Michigan State just beat a 12-0 team this past week. All this says is that the gap between 4-5 and 3 wasn't bigger than a quality win over an undefeated team, and I think that's right in the long run.

BTW I like Clemson over Alabama something like 31-24 in the final.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
The Big 12 needs to fix their shit. Had Stanford only had one loss, Oklahoma would be out.
I don't know enough to say who deserves to be where, but it will be fun to watch Michigan State have a run at the championship. Dantonio is such an amazing coach, and I don't think he gets enough love.

I just hope the officiating in playoff games is better than Big 10 officiating this year. The MSU/U of M game was just an embarrassment for the referees. It was probably the worst officiating I've ever seen in a football game.
(December 7, 2015 at 11:11 am)Faith No More Wrote: Dantonio is such an amazing coach, and I don't think he gets enough love.

^^^ Objectively true.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Roll Tide!

Having said that I don't expect us to win the championship this year. Our secondary is vulnerable to the long passing game, and Coker's passing skills are suspect. God help the rest of NCAA if Saban is ever able to recruit a really good quarterback. We might make it past Michigan State in the playoff. If so I'd rater see us play Clemson in the final, but I think Oklahoma is probably going to take it all this year.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Iowa going to the Rose Bowl, Go Team !!

(surprised I found out about that, all my local media comes from Nebraska and they are loathe to report on teams in adjacent states that are doing better than theirs)

[snicker, tee hee]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aussie Rules Football MarcusA 1 422 August 20, 2023 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Snooker and football Interaktive 4 926 April 20, 2022 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Questions and Observations for American Football Fans Brian37 75 5309 November 1, 2021 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Another attempt at spring pro football. Brian37 0 448 May 29, 2021 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sports, football vs figure skating...... Brian37 11 990 January 16, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  NFC LEAST, weirdest playoff scenario I've seen. Brian37 6 405 January 4, 2021 at 12:28 am
  Washington Football Team vs Seahawks Brian37 32 1556 December 20, 2020 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Anyone watch the T-day football games? Brian37 39 1747 November 27, 2020 at 9:40 pm
  Brian37 vs Hillbilly atheist playoff bets. Brian37 38 3670 January 11, 2020 at 12:09 pm
  Should college sports players be paid? Brian37 13 2406 October 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama