Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come one, come all!
Come one, come all!
If Christians are going to appeal to NDEs, "miracles", etc., as being proof of their religion, how about alien abductions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_abduction

At least 1700 folks claim this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_abduction#Abductees
RE: Come one, come all!
Sorry, what does one have to do with the other?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Did someone get probed ?

I love reading about that.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 12, 2015 at 10:22 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Sorry, what does one have to do with the other?

Boru

They are all horseshit.
Well, sure, but still and all...it's an odd thing to compare.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I wouldn't consider NDE's bullshit. There are scientific explanations for the most common occurrences people report of after near death experiences. 

Assigning supernatural causes to NDE's could be considered bullshit, though.
Thena, same deal.
No one is assigning supernatural causes to alien abductions either!
That would be silly.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I never really understood the supposed reason behind the supposed abductions. I mean these aliens have technology surpassing us by a mile, yet they can't figure out how humans work despite thousands of... ermm... probings? Moreover how could such advanced beings be so sloppy? Can't use anaesthetics properly, can't wipe memories completely, completely misses our satellites and communication attempts yet apparently they want to communicate...via crop-circles.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(December 13, 2015 at 12:23 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: I never really understood the supposed reason behind the supposed abductions. I mean these aliens have technology surpassing us by a mile, yet they can't figure out how humans work despite thousands of... ermm... probings? Moreover how could such advanced beings be so sloppy? Can't use anaesthetics properly, can't wipe memories completely, completely misses our satellites and communication attempts yet apparently they want to communicate...via crop-circles.

Odd, innit? They cross thousands of light years in the blink of an eye, evade detection by an Earth-girdling radar net, are clever enough to only interact with people who've got average tooth-count of about 9...all to look at human recta.

Funny old aliens...

Boru
(December 12, 2015 at 10:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Well, sure, but still and all...it's an odd thing to compare.

Boru

I use the comparison when people try to tell me that someone's isolated and non-reproducable near-death experience is actual concrete undeniable evidence for God's existence. They say, "Person X had a NDE where they saw Heaven and talked to Jesus! They KNOW they saw these things. Therefore God must exist, because it's solid empirical evidence!" To which I respond, "Every year, scattered reports arise of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens. They claim that they KNOW they were abducted. By your same logic then, this MUST be undeniable proof that we have been visited by extraterrestrials! So why doesn't our government do something about it?"
To which they will usually pull out an ad populum that can be easily refuted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7215 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3609 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20810 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12702 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Something all theists should all keep in mind. Creed of Heresy 67 28204 September 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet