Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Poor be helped?
Should the Poor be helped?
I often wonder of late whether those with money are called upon to help those with less?

I should think yes, if it is from charity, such as dropping a dime or two into the homeless man's styrofoam cup.

But should there be an active effort to end poverty? I know many Christians believe so but I am not so sure.

If we try to end poverty, there wouldn't be any poor people any more, and thus few people to exercise charity toward. Also, I have read that there is a certain "purity" in being poor, in that they don't really have the same anxities/concerns as those with money have. Getting some people out of poverty might lead them to be complacent, and relying on material, instead of spiritual things for happiness.

Further, Jesus said "You will always have the poor with you." Who are we to go against what He said?

I realize people who want to end poverty have good intentions, but it would be wise if you would examine those repurcussions.

I know this is hard, but I feel we must talk about it.
RE: Should the Poor be helped?
Yes, just not by you.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I eat poor people. The only help I will be giving them is hamburger helper. Mmmmm, yummy.
Are you suggesting that we don't work to eradicate poverty because that would remove the religious reason to get a hard-on for helping the poor? If so, then fuck you.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 14, 2015 at 10:43 pm)Amine Wrote: I eat poor people. The only help I will be giving them is hamburger helper. Mmmmm, yummy.

Save the organs for sale in Saudi Arabia !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 14, 2015 at 10:45 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Are you suggesting that we don't work to eradicate poverty because that would remove the religious reason to get a hard-on for helping the poor? If so, then fuck you.

Partly. Don't say "fuck" to me, it is incredibly offensive and uncalled for Undecided .

I am saying people in great poverty... can at times be "blessed" in that they can draw closer to the source of all goodness, than those with lots of money. Try reading cinderella sometime. Even though Cinderella had less fine things than her step-sisters, she really was much happier.

Im just trying to see the silver lining in this all.

Hope that helps Smile
I will use whatever language I think fit. I do not care what someone who finds our banner offensive finds offensive. Especially when such vocabulary expresses my opinion with astonishing economy.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I've noted my dingy step-nieces have, after getting some (considerable) help, are actually productive citizens now.

Finally.

At long last.

I've also noticed some folks that are just black holes at absorbing help.

If there was some way of figuring out which is which beforehand, helping out would be far more efficient. Or, maybe its a continuum of sorts, and perhaps the figuring out might help tailor the available help to those with the best odds, and for different 'flavors' of help, getting the right kind to the right individual would be very useful.

In the case of one of the step-nieces, the help that did the most good was tuition for classes that she was good at that had potential for marketable skills.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

You can go straight to hell! How about you live on 753 a month! Try paying for food, an apartment, transportation, medication, medical supplies, and college! Shut the fuck up!
(December 14, 2015 at 11:01 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: You can go straight to hell! How about you live on 753 a month! Try paying for food, an apartment, transportation, medication, medical supplies, and college! Shut the fuck up!

That's impossible, since I accepted Jesus' sacrifice on cross.

Language! Swear words are so rude Undecided

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayn Rand is just a poor facsimile of Neitzche Really? 17 3474 March 18, 2014 at 7:37 am
Last Post: tor