Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ayn Rand is just a poor facsimile of Neitzche
Ayn Rand is just a poor facsimile of Neitzche
I know that there are more than a few libertarians on this board, and while Rand is not, strictly speaking, a libertarian there is a strong intersection of objectivists and libertarians at sites like this.

Anyway, Rand's all encompassing philosophy of objectivism is clearly just a reactionary rejection of all things described as good in the late Leninist-early Stalinist soviet regime. The fact that this regime was xenophobic, paranoid, and largely unable to impliment a society anything like engles/marx collectivism was irrelevant to her. Her readings of both hard and soft science were seriously flawed, especially in economics. This becomes most appearent in her novels where many of her characters are buisness owners or creators. While these characters are described as titans of industry, they always make choices that veer towards personal wish fullfillment. (The fountainhead being the worst: The "hero" decides its more important that his work be artistically full filling than that the end product be what potential buyers are looking for...)

However, all that aside the real issue is that Objectivist ethics is little more than a variation of Neitzche's "master moralities" and attacks against kantian and christian ethics are a sad rehash of Neitzche's arguments against slave moralities. Further, Rand's rational egotism manages to capture all the easily understood parts of the will to power without managing to impart any of the higher order requirements for personal growth.

Can anybody offer a defense of why Rand is not just a poor man's Neitzche?
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks -- those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - F. Nietzche
RE: Ayn Rand is just a poor facsimile of Neitzche
Yeah, man, you're so right. Fuck Ayn Rand. Egoist motherfucker. I blame her for influencing both Republicans and Libertarians to suck.
Sorry both are retards. The first is a second rate author who published about a philosophy devoted to self, the second is just a retard who thinks that stronger steel helps you build better railroads and architects of high rises need to focus on furniture and interior design, not elevators, fire control, earthquake mediation, and sewage. Ann rand was probably a kgb plant to destroy America, and the retards who believe in her might actually accomplish the mission.
(March 8, 2014 at 12:37 am)rsb Wrote: Sorry both are retards. The first is a second rate author who published about a philosophy devoted to self, the second is just a retard who thinks that stronger steel helps you build better railroads and architects of high rises need to focus on furniture and interior design, not elevators, fire control, earthquake mediation, and sewage. Ann rand was probably a kgb plant to destroy America, and the retards who believe in her might actually accomplish the mission.
Yeah, using "retard" as a derogatory term totally makes you seem like an intelligent, rational individual. [/sarcasm]
(March 8, 2014 at 12:45 am)futilethewinds Wrote:
(March 8, 2014 at 12:37 am)rsb Wrote: Sorry both are retards. The first is a second rate author who published about a philosophy devoted to self, the second is just a retard who thinks that stronger steel helps you build better railroads and architects of high rises need to focus on furniture and interior design, not elevators, fire control, earthquake mediation, and sewage. Ann rand was probably a kgb plant to destroy America, and the retards who believe in her might actually accomplish the mission.
Yeah, using "retard" as a derogatory term totally makes you seem like an intelligent, rational individual. [/sarcasm]
Given that my retarded sister could kick both of their asses in any way possible, I agree Big Grin At least she understands she needs to take it slow and simple so as not to get confused. I often envy her in that way. They are not just retards, they are weak retards who have not adapted.
(March 8, 2014 at 12:51 am)rsb Wrote: Given that my retarded sister could kick both of their asses in any way possible, I agree Big Grin At least she understands she needs to take it slow and simple so as not to get confused. I often envy her in that way.
You think you have a right to use the word "retarded" that way because your sister is mentally retarded? You don't have to go through what she does. It would be like saying you have the right to say "nigger" because you adopted a black child.
(March 8, 2014 at 12:45 am)futilethewinds Wrote: Yeah, using "retard" as a derogatory term totally makes you seem like an intelligent, rational individual. [/sarcasm]

The word retard is a derogatory word. It means to delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(March 8, 2014 at 12:56 am)Rahul Wrote: The word retard is a derogatory word. It means to delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.
"Mental retardation" is a medical term. "Retarded" when used to mean "stupid" is offensive.
Yes it is meant to delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment. Just like Ayn Rand and Neitzche.

If you have no legs you don't object to paraplegic.

If you have no legs or arms you don't object to quadriplegic.

It would just be, retarded, like we all are, at one level or another. Do you want your retardation to slow you down? I try not to let mine do so.
(March 8, 2014 at 12:58 am)futilethewinds Wrote: "Mental retardation" is a medical term. "Retarded" when used to mean "stupid" is offensive.

If someone attempts to make some advancement, like build a better road, or construct a more modern medical facility, and I somehow prevent or delay it from happening, am I being a retardant? Or acting in retarded manner?

Just playing with you, Futile. You know I love you. Tongue
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism Lucifer 162 12304 July 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Problem With Ayn Rand Mechaghostman2 9 2628 March 4, 2016 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should the Poor be helped? TrueChristian 92 11319 December 17, 2015 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Is Neitzche Hard? ThePinsir 10 2577 April 24, 2014 at 3:55 am
Last Post: mralstoner
  5 Stupid things about Ayn Rand Napoléon 52 23067 August 10, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Napoléon