Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spore
Spore
Spore is among my favorite games. Between painting planets, making creatures, and stretching my empire(s) across the galaxy (and with the expansion, designing 'short' RPGs)... there is enough in this game to keep me occupied for a great deal of time.

What do you lot think about the game?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: Spore
It was in development for 10 years. The previews and gameplay snippets they showed at events like E3 sent the hype for it up amazingly, and for some unknown reason (*cough* Maxis are morons *cough*) they removed all the cool features in the game.

Creatures make no sense in the game. A creature with one foot can run faster than a creature with 4 as long as you use a foot that has a better "score". Originally the game used an intuitive engine to decide how the creature moved, but no longer. The space mode, which looked so amazing in the previews, turned out to be one of the most annoying phases to play in. You are constantly under attack, constantly being asked to go and sort out this problem or that, and constantly deterred from doing anything like exploring new planets.

It sucked. I played it for a good few hours and then just gave up.
Agreed, it was fun for a while but got old quickly.
Sucked and boring.

Well, more like, Booooorrrrrrinnng!
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Weird 0.o You guys must not be into creating art with your computers? :S

I agree with adrian about how annoyingly difficult it is to have peace in the galaxy (which my answer to such is to eradicate all life I meet in the galaxy (save the homeworld and maybe a few systems... unless we're talking about the expansion, in which case it is much more enjoyable imo to have a real empire) once I've gotten enough money from spice trading and paid for all of the upgrades to the ship). I definitely think that they should have toned down on how quickly such stuff happens... and perhaps introduced some interesting gameplay regarding such... and your people not producing any ships of their own is something I've always found ridiculous. But in light of all of this, the expansion (Spore Galactic Adventures) gives you plenty of reason to not butcher everything you run into, and lets you build fun little rpgs, as well as painting planets and building creatures.

The reason that creatures don't have to be logical is that the game is largely designed form an artistic standpoint. I happen to subscribe to a few people (Himmelslaub is a fantastic creature artist). If creatures actually had to survive, then many of the most artistically fascinating creatures simply could not exist. Terraforming planets and completing sections of their ecosystem (then painting them, or in some cases simply painting them) makes me feel like a genuine artist, even considering how much artistic talent I lack. Also, the music in the game is nice, and it's rather pleasant to hear my 'national anthem' when I visit my cities Smile

From a gameplay standpoint... I rather enjoy the cell stage... am somewhat intrigued by the creature stage, think the tribal stage is okay, like the civilization stage a fair bit, and enjoy the space stage (even with the noted annoyances). The music is nice, the sound effects are cute, the tools for the game are simple (and designed so that a common 10 year old can use them), and I rather like the game.

Not to suggest that you lot aren't entitled to your opinions... I'm just a little surprised at them is all Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Creating art in your computer is fine as I see it.

Selling a game that was brain damaged (removed features demo'ed that made it so desirable) is complete batshit insane.

They fucked up.

Quote:The reason that creatures don't have to be logical is that the game is largely designed form an artistic standpoint. I happen to subscribe to a few people (Himmelslaub is a fantastic creature artist). If creatures actually had to survive, then many of the most artistically fascinating creatures simply could not exist. Terraforming planets and completing sections of their ecosystem (then painting them, or in some cases simply painting them) makes me feel like a genuine artist, even considering how much artistic talent I lack. Also, the music in the game is nice, and it's rather pleasant to hear my 'national anthem' when I visit my cities

Well that explains everything - artists for the most part couldn't be bothered to understand anything about nature other than the required information to paint it.
I have never played it. The DRM put me off. Have they fixed that yet?
Hoi Zaeme.
(June 26, 2010 at 7:55 pm)Rob Wrote: I have never played it. The DRM put me off. Have they fixed that yet?

If you mean by removing it, no.

However, your local warez group has most likely fixed that for you. Wink
I loved that game but the constant random crap that you HAVE to attend to or you will lose a planet, annoyed me to no end! I just wanted to go meet other creatures and interact with them without having to constantly go back home to save planets I already sorted out. It felt like building a sandcastle out of dry sand. GRRRRR!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spore Mechaghostman2 19 1851 August 22, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2