Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spore
Spore
So since E3 2005 I've been really, really, RRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY wanting to play the game Spore. It looked so advanced, and unlike any game I had ever seen before. Going from a cell to the water, to a land animal to a tribe, to building a city to conquering the planet, to space colonization and terraforming. The animals looked so life like, they behaved so life like, and so on. Everything in space looked so realistic, and originally you were even going to be able to put colonies under water. 

Well I've been playing the final product these last few days, and it seems to be downgraded. Ok, the scrapped the ocean bit because of animation problems, alright, I get that. Everything else about it however is just soooo cartoony. I can understand getting rid of the the realistic mating and maybe even the blood. But what the end product came to be as just, just so mediocre in comparison.

But how does  it stand on its own without comparing it to the video footage of that awesome, lovely beta version from 2005? Well, it's pretty good. The creature creator (and building & vehicle creator) is still really fun, I love making humanoids, dinosaurs, and other things. It gets repetitive pretty fast though, so cheats help you to speed through the game, like money cheats so you're not having to constantly collect spices in a very tedious fashion just to get a colony making thing. 

I'm sad that EA no longer offers online support for this game, as that would have offered so many great creatures to have in my library. Maybe there's a mod and a server for people that still like the online interaction, I don't know. 

With all this said, it isn't bad or anything, considering I've been addicted to it for almost a week now, but I think it could have been better. People have made some good mods for it, which does improve the gameplay, and I like that.

I think there is a game that's similar to Spore, with a similar creature creator setup and all that. Then there's No Man's Sky, which is like Spore's space age, kinda.
RE: Spore
Yeah, it makes me a bit nostalgic. I loved that game back then, but space age got boring fast, and felt unfinished... I never did quite make it till the center of the galaxy though...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

There could be some kind of archive online that has all the user created content.  Older EA games like The Sims 2 have dedicated sites where you can go and get mods and skins created by the fanbase so I'm sure the same would follow for Spore. Smile
(August 6, 2016 at 2:34 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Yeah, it makes me a bit nostalgic. I loved that game back then, but space age got boring fast, and felt unfinished... I never did quite make it till the center of the galaxy though...

The center of the galaxy just gives you the ability to instantly terraform any planet, about 40 or so times.
I loved and loved Spore sooo damn much however I didn't like the space phase of the game, I was like 9 years old, I didn't understand shit and it wasn't much fun. It was about a month ago I tried to find a similiar game but to no success :/
I miss playing spore :/
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."
I played Spore for a while. I mostly liked the first two or three stages, where you could change your creature, and see them interact with things. Not so much the space stage, because then you just have machines. Unfortunately the space stage seems to be half the game, which leave the part I enjoyed feeling underdeveloped. It was 20 bucks. Do I think the first two or three stages is worth that? Maybe. Barely.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Spore is one of my favorite games. I go back and play it every now and then.
I have the tide pool stage in my game though, not sure what you mean that it was scrapped.

My 9 year old daughter loves it, and has it on her list of 2 or 3 go to games. She's been playing it for years, too.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
How bout you all share pictures of your wacky creations here Tongue

I'll try to find my disk this weekend, unless too much work comes in
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I can't really do pictures. My cell usually used spikes and poison. My creature was a bird, because wings are very useful.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spore Violet 8 2236 June 28, 2010 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13