Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it wrong to teach kids about Hell?
Is it wrong to teach kids about Hell?
I have come to the conclusion that it is.

I have been taught about Hell since I was in Sunday school.

But it was only when I joined a youth group (at 11-12) that the youth pastor really began talking about it.

I was told all non-Christians ( not necessarily evil people) were doomed to Hell forever and ever. They would be burned alive (The flames fueled by God's wrath), they would be tortured by demons, filled up with maggots, and never ever know love, and never ever know happiness for all eternity.

In addition to books about seeing Heaven, and about famous Christians, the pastor would bring in stories (by video) of people who saw Hell, like Bill Wiese "23 Minutes in Hell."

None of it really made me scared about sinning since I was already "saved" but made me feel really bad for all the non christians out there.

One day I asked my pastor about a Jewish friend I had, whether he too was going to Hell, even though he was great.

The pastor kind of looked at me sadly and said "TC, I am so sorry, but that friend of yours will burn in agony for all eternity, unless you help save him." "Wil.. will it ever stop?" I asked incredulously. "No. IT will never ever stop."

Thats what made me disgusted with the idea of Hell, even if I still believed in Jesus.

Do you think I, and other Christian children are harmed by hearing about Hell?
RE: Is it wrong to teach kids about Hell?
I don't think it is objectively wrong to teach your kids about Hell, if that is truly what you believe. But I do think it has to be done very carefully, using prudence as responsible, good parents. Too much focus on Hell is definitely not healthy for anyone, especially kids.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
It does seem a bit off. Jesus is this loving god who wants to have a relationship with you, but if you don't want him you're going to roast in a fire for eternity. That doesn't sound like a guy you would want to associate with.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's not just harmful, it's child abuse, plain and simple.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

[Image: image.jpg1_zpsjz6xxsyx.jpg]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
The pastor made sure to tell us not to feel sorry for the souls there, that in fact they "Chose" to be there, that they would rather burn in Hell than accepting Jesus.

I asked him about all the babbling buddhist monks in the mountains of Tibet who never even heard of Jesus.

He paused, looked frustrated, and then muttered something about "Free will" and "Lord works in mysterious ways"
So are you genuinely saying that the cops knew internal affairs were setting them up?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
It's child abuse plain and simple. There's no difference between saying "If you don't believe in god, you'll go to hell. And if your friends don't accept Jesus, they will go to hell too." and saying "If you don't clean your room, I'm going to stuff you in the oven. And if your friends don't clean their room, I'll stick them in the oven too."

I hate when people tell our kids about hell. It makes it hard to let them make their own decisions regarding religion.
My dad would give anyone an angry lecture who dared tell me about hell.

Good times! Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I enjoyed myths as a child, it was fascinating to learn about the workings of primitive cultures.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion Cecelia 28 2037 February 20, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1239 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1409 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1121 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 11405 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Dead people testify! We were wrong! ignoramus 12 1710 June 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  On the wrong tract............ Brian37 28 4856 December 16, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Get those kids o there! (Theists at Jacksonville try to pray Hurricane Irma away) causal code 20 6344 September 11, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I was wrong about the simple choice. Mystic 42 4942 January 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  If Life is Meaningless Anyway, then What's Wrong with Religion? InquiringMind 348 44111 October 2, 2016 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Cyberman