Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion
OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/oklahoma-rob-standridge-education-religion-bill-b2007247.html|

Oklahoma bill would fine teachers $10k for teaching anything that contradicts religion

As a teacher and as a parent this is absolutely horrifying. I'm glad I don't live in Oklahoma. If it ever comes to my area, I'll be moving a.s.a.p. This is extremely disturbing. Especially since, unlike with police, that $10k would come directly from teachers pockets. I can't imagine being a teacher in Oklahoma if this passes. I'd think all of them would just leave.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion
Contradicts which religion? There are so many!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion
Clearly, things are not ok in OK.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
When Professor Richard Dawkins went to the University of Oklahoma, the legislature there investigated:

Oklahoma legislature investigates Richard Dawkins’ free speech

This is a SLAPP, no different than the racial segregations imposed by certain states in the 60s.  What will the federal government do?  Nothing, of course, but, what should they do??
Knee jerk christian fear raising it's ugly head.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Yeah, the Okies are way behind on this.  They should listen to their more experienced neighbors:

Epperson v. Arkansas, 393 U.S. 97 (1968), was a landmark United States Supreme Court case that invalidated an Arkansas statute prohibiting the teaching of human evolution in the public schools.[1] The Court held that the First Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits a state from requiring, in the words of the majority opinion, "that teaching and learning must be tailored to the principles or prohibitions of any religious sect or dogma." 

McLean v. Arkansas Board of Education529 F. Supp. 1255 (E.D. Ark. 1982), was a 1981 legal case in the US state of Arkansas.[1]
lawsuit was filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas by various parents, religious groups and organizations, biologists, and others who argued that the Arkansas state law known as the Balanced Treatment for Creation-Science and Evolution-Science Act (Act 590), which mandated the teaching of "creation science" in Arkansas public schools, was unconstitutional because it violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.
Judge William Overton handed down a decision on January 5, 1982, giving a clear, specific definition of science as a basis for ruling that creation science is religion and is simply not science.[1] The ruling was not binding on schools outside the Eastern District of Arkansas but had considerable influence on subsequent rulings on the teaching of creationism.[2]
It just never ceases to shock/amaze me what people can get away with in the name of, or on account of, religion in the US.
It's hard to see how such a law could survive court challenges. I doubt that even the current SCOTUS would let this go.

Imagine the irony of a nation which just put up the Webb telescope allowing one of its states to forbid teaching about it in deference to bronze-age superstition.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(February 4, 2022 at 10:41 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: It's hard to see how such a law could survive court challenges. I doubt that even the current SCOTUS would let this go.

Imagine the irony of a nation which just put up the Webb telescope allowing one of its states to forbid teaching about it in deference to bronze-age superstition.

It isn't going to make it that far. Right now the bill has zero co-sponsors and has not even made it to committee much less come up for a vote.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(February 4, 2022 at 10:46 am)Ranjr Wrote: Yeah, the Okies are way behind on this.  They should listen to their more experienced neighbors:

Epperson v. Arkansas, 393 U.S. 97 (1968), was a landmark United States Supreme Court case that invalidated an Arkansas statute prohibiting the teaching of human evolution in the public schools.[1] The Court held that the First Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits a state from requiring, in the words of the majority opinion, "that teaching and learning must be tailored to the principles or prohibitions of any religious sect or dogma." 

McLean v. Arkansas Board of Education529 F. Supp. 1255 (E.D. Ark. 1982), was a 1981 legal case in the US state of Arkansas.[1]
lawsuit was filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas by various parents, religious groups and organizations, biologists, and others who argued that the Arkansas state law known as the Balanced Treatment for Creation-Science and Evolution-Science Act (Act 590), which mandated the teaching of "creation science" in Arkansas public schools, was unconstitutional because it violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.
Judge William Overton handed down a decision on January 5, 1982, giving a clear, specific definition of science as a basis for ruling that creation science is religion and is simply not science.[1] The ruling was not binding on schools outside the Eastern District of Arkansas but had considerable influence on subsequent rulings on the teaching of creationism.[2]

Oh boy, the USA sure wastes a lot of tax payer money on religion vs science, religion vs some_other_thing.
There are probably a couple of hundreds such court cases so far.

For a while, I was following the richarddawkins website and I think I saw a couple of recent court cases like that.
I think both cases were initiated by a politician who was trying to gain support.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1233 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4007 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  My Mormon parents NuclearEnergy 11 2288 October 9, 2021 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Jesus had no parents Ferrocyanide 21 2072 October 7, 2021 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Countries that speak a different language to the religion they are aligned with flag UniverseCaptain 25 1581 October 3, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1165 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Bill Maher: New Rules 9-28-18 Minimalist 1 767 September 29, 2018 at 5:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A religious delimma. (God Parents) ignoramus 2 675 June 29, 2018 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 3709 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Funny Highlights from Ken Ham vs Bill Nye Salty Science 7 2267 January 27, 2017 at 9:20 am
Last Post: brewer