Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naturalism
Naturalism
Philosophical naturalism is the idea that supernatural things do not exist. Now, it's certainly possible to take an agnostic stance and say that we don't know if supernatural things exist, but we're not accepting that they do without some evidence. This is certainly a reasonable and even intellectually honest stance to take. That's not what this thread is about.

This thread is about the pejorative that theists and other woo pushers throw around to try and shield their views from scrutiny. When someone starts making wild, nonfalsifiable claims, it is quite reasonable to ask them to back those claims. It is also reasonable not to accept raw assertion or more nonfalsifiable claims as evidence. So, to protect themselves from being asked hard (reasonable) questions, they throw the label naturalism (or materialism or sciencism) around to discredit the person asking those pesky questions. The advanced apologists even have philosophical arguments proving naturalism to be self-refuting, or otherwise incorrect (in the same way that philosophy can prove that we can't really "know anything", and that induction is impossible).

Now, that's annoying (boy, is it), but what gets even more annoying is the weird, special pedestal that religion/woo gets put on when making these claims. Whether they're telling you that "God exists outside of the material world", or pushing NOMA, or smugly saying "there are plenty of things science can't explain", they're all effectively saying that they don't want science looking at what they're talking about. Yet, they never bring that up anywhere else! You never see one of them
  • telling the mechanic that they don't need to replace their brakes because they work in mysterious ways.
  • walking out in front of a car because maybe it's a ghost car.
  • remaining in a burning building because they read that some dudes survived in a furnace, once.
  • walking through a gun fight because their guardian angel will protect them from bullets.
No. They listen to their mechanics, stop for moving cars, get out of flaming buildings, and duck for cover, just like everyone else. When the rubber meets the road, they know damn well that the material universe around them behaves in predictable and understandable ways, and that these interactions have consequences. They only bust this stuff out when their woo has run up against the cold, hard wall of scrutiny.

I think anyone who uses the term naturalism (or materialism or sciencism) as a form of rhetoric needs to have this pointed out to them.
RE: Naturalism
My first problem with this whole issue is this: what is a supernatural thing? I have yet to hear a sensible definition.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

A supernatural thing is any thing which is unfalsifiable, I reckon.

Naturalism has supernaturalism in a strangehold. There cannot be any evidence of the supernatural because it's all unfalsifiable.
Evie, not a bad attempt at a definition, but not satisfactory in my opinion. An example for concreteness: There can be parts of nature which become separated from us causally. E.g. what happens now in a galaxy at the edge of our observable universe. If the universe keeps expanding, these events will never come in causal contact with earth, and any claim about what happens there is unfalsifiable. It is not sensible to call these places supernatural.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Not everything unfalsifiable is supernatural but everything supernatural is unfalsifaible.

I see what you mean.

But if it's unfalsifaible because it's not natural, then it's supernatural.
Haha, yes indeed it is Smile

I'm begging the question again aren't I? Deadpan
A little bit Smile

How twattish of me.
Yeah really. What were you thinking!!! Tongue