Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious teaching on the disabled?
Religious teaching on the disabled?
To any ex-theists, have your previous faiths had any teaching about the souls of the mentally disabled?

I come from the Catholic faith and the general rule of thumb seems to be that the handicapped are gifts from God, do not cause Him offense, and generally go straight to heaven. I get the sense that if you asked any Catholic (lay or clergyman) if  the handicapped ever go to Hell, you would a response of outrage and disgust.

But what is the True Bible based teaching on them? Many of them do not in fact read the bible, spend any time in prayer or ever try to convert sinners, or do God's will in any way. What happens to the ones who don't repent of sin and accept Jesus as savior?

What have your former priests/ministers/ rabbis/ imams/ druids/ witch doctors had to say on this?
RE: Religious teaching on the disabled?
(December 30, 2015 at 6:53 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: To any ex-theists, have your previous faiths had any teaching about the souls of the mentally disabled?

I come from the Catholic faith and the general rule of thumb seems to be that the handicapped are gifts from God, do not cause Him offense, and generally go straight to heaven. I get the sense that if you asked any Catholic (lay or clergyman) if  the handicapped ever go to Hell, you would a response of outrage and disgust.

But what is the True Bible based teaching on them? Many of them do not in fact read the bible, spend any time in prayer or ever try to convert sinners, or do God's will in any way. What happens to the ones who don't repent of sin and accept Jesus as savior?

What have your former priests/ministers/ rabbis/ imams/ druids/ witch doctors had to say on this?

Your soul will be fine, FSM cares greatly for you.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(December 30, 2015 at 6:53 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: To any ex-theists, have your previous faiths had any teaching about the souls of the mentally disabled?

I come from the Catholic faith and the general rule of thumb seems to be that the handicapped are gifts from God, do not cause Him offense...

What do you reckon the IQ cut-off is? 30? 70? 125? At what point would god say, "yep. he's a dumb shit but he can tie his shoe in only 30 minutes so I'mma gonna burn his ass!"  When would god say "this fellow has 3 phd's but he can't quite grasp my revelation of my greatness in the creation of quantum mechanics, so I'mma gonna let him slide?"

I think intelligence is more of a hindrance to the believing in a god than the lack of it. A fairer god would say "this guy is smart enough to see the inconsistencies and absurdaties in my book and realized that I am completely hidden so I won't hurt him just for following through with the brain I gave him."

The bible doesn't paint a god that listens to extenuating circumstances. His judgments are all strictly black or white. The only grey described is found in contradiction and ambiguity. He would send a John Wayne Gacy to the same hell for the same eternity that he would send a Mahatma Gandhi. Fuck him.

Quote:Judges 21-11

11 And this is the thing that ye shall do, Ye shall utterly destroy every male, and every woman that hath lain by man.

12 And they found among the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead four hundred young virgins, that had known no man by lying with any male: and they brought them unto the camp to Shiloh, which is in the land of Canaan.

How'd you like to have been a 12 year old girl in that tribe? You'd see your grandparents, your parents, and your younger brothers killed, even if your brother was just a baby, and then you'd be raped by the hairy stinking murderers. 

And you think that god has a problem with burning a few handicapped kids that can't bow to him properly??

Not likely, he actively shunned the handicapped in his temples he hates them so much.

Quote:Leviticus 21
16 The Lord said to Moses, 17 “Say to Aaron: ‘For the generations to come none of your descendants who has a defect may come near to offer the food of his God. 18 No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed; 19 no man with a crippled foot or hand, 20 or who is a hunchback or a dwarf, or who has any eye defect, or who has festering or running sores or damaged testicles. 21 No descendant of Aaron the priest who has any defect is to come near to present the food offerings to the Lord. He has a defect; he must not come near to offer the food of his God. 22 He may eat the most holy food of his God, as well as the holy food; 23 yet because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary. I am the Lord, who makes them holy.’”

No, your priests are lying to you because man's morals have evolved to surpass their bronze age created gods.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
Yeah, Yahweh didn't consort with crips. Implicit is he is punishing them for being disabled with their disabilities.

I also note, for a while (?) Mormons felt blacks were born black because the souls in those bodies had fucked up in the pre-life. I haven't read anything about how the Mormons felt about the disabled, and clearly, if we know anything about Mormons, if the subject has been addressed, it will have been addressed more than once, changed a few times, the changes will then be denied to have occurred, when the changes are proven to have occurred, they will then claim the changes don't alter the meaning and when it is pointed out the changes changed the meaning 180 degrees, they will then claim God can change his mind.

IOW, if the Mormons have addressed disabilities in the last 190 years, it ain't going to clear up anything.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My brother's bible class was teaching him about "addiction" MusicLovingAtheist 57 10491 October 21, 2014 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32907 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Pakistan disabled girl arrested for blasphemy frankiej 36 11892 August 24, 2012 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused