Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist's killers convicted in Bagladeshi court.
Atheist's killers convicted in Bagladeshi court.
While I am no fan of the death penalty it is good to see a growing backlash against religiously justified violence.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/bangladeshi-...1451577416
RE: Atheist's killers convicted in Bagladeshi court.
Yeah, well, murder is murder and I'm glad, they got convicted. Death however doesn't bring the victim back to life. Prison would serve just fine.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Give me a call when the sentence is carried out.  That's when I'll believe it.
Not a fan of the death penalty.
(January 1, 2016 at 12:12 pm)Evie Wrote: Not a fan of the death penalty.

Neither am I, it is not an act of correction nor is it a deterrent. Killing in the heat of battle on the spot in direct danger is one thing. But after someone is caught and detained, no. Bin Laden is slightly different, unfortunately you cant put someone like that on trial because of his "hero" status, he'd just act as a billboard if put on trial. But outside high profile monsters, I think it is simply best to treat them as criminals like street thugs. Arrest them, put them on trial, presumption of innocence, and with a conviction, you lock them up.
(January 1, 2016 at 12:29 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Bin Laden is slightly different, unfortunately you cant put someone like that on trial because of his "hero" status, he'd just act as a billboard if put on trial.

Actually, you can put someone like that on trial. The Nuremberg, as well as the Hague trials prove that. You can't put someone like that on an American trial, but the Hague would have suited him just fine.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I'm almost a pacifist actually. Although killing for self-defence or defense of my loved ones would be something I may have to do and would do as a last resort, it's not something I consider necessarily moral or ethical. I'm a favoritist, I favor myself and my loved ones but I can't morally justify it. And I don't believe in free will, I don't believe two wrongs make a right, and I believe in the separateness of persons and consciousness to the extend that I don't aggregate pleasure or pain between individuals, I don't aggregate the philosophical utilitiarian sense of "utility".

Intentions matter and malice matters, those things are what cause an awful lot of horrible pain, suffering and death in the world. But even when the intentions are seemingly morally justified through self-defense--and something I would do myself--or are otherwise good, at the end of the day consequences that leave to death or suffering in the long run--as opposed to the short run because of course, suffering a bit to undergo a medicial Doctor's procedure, for instance, is necessary suffering, I'm talking about unnecessary long term suffering--is still death or suffering in the long run.

I can't justify morally or ethically a lot of how I live my life personally. Like, in a sense I feel being a pescetarian would be morally and ethically superior than if I eat all meats as I do (although I don't think vegetarianism or veganism is necessary morally or ethically), but personally I find it undesirable to give up eating meat. I want to try to be a good person and maintain the goodness I already have as a person, I don't try to be perfect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leaked Supreme Court Decision signals majority set to overturn Roe v. Wade Cecelia 234 17086 June 7, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Black Serial Killers Foxaèr 10 949 November 29, 2021 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: T.J.
  Supreme Court To Take Up Right to Carry Firearm Outside Home onlinebiker 57 2142 April 29, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Breonna killers not charged. Brian37 110 5759 December 15, 2020 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Court Ordered Quarantine brewer 2 442 October 24, 2019 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Brian37
Thumbs Up Amber Guyger Convicted onlinebiker 68 4335 October 13, 2019 at 7:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Supreme Court Considers Mandatory Govt Funding of Religious Education EgoDeath 8 747 September 24, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Fed Court, "hand over 8yrs of your finances" Brian37 15 995 May 22, 2019 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Court of Appeals Tells Alabama Shitheads to "Fuck Off!" Minimalist 6 1115 August 23, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker A Theist 371 46863 June 14, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: robvalue