Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wish I was literate in...
I wish I was literate in...
Greek, Latin, etc. so I could find this stuff out on my own:

At least someone is out there doing it I suppose.
RE: I wish I was literate in...
Hmm.

Samuelsson Wrote:the ancient texts reveal only that Jesus carried "some kind of torture or execution device" to a hill where "he was suspended" and died

I think that most Christians would say that's close enough. If I'm not mistaken, the "torture or execution device" upon which someone could be "suspended" and die that was used most often at the time was a cross and/or pole. This sounds like a bit of semantics with very little impact, in my opinion.
Actually, if the Greek word for "cross" also could have meant "ACR w/ACOG scope", then he may be onto something.
(July 2, 2010 at 9:56 am)Paul the Human Wrote: very little impact, in my opinion.

It adds impact to the argument that messages in the bible have been 'lost in translation'
(July 2, 2010 at 10:27 am)Furiidomu Wrote:
(July 2, 2010 at 9:56 am)Paul the Human Wrote: very little impact, in my opinion.

It adds impact to the argument that messages in the bible have been 'lost in translation'

Indeed. It does do that and I do wish more Christians understood that. I just don't think it will have much impact on Christians. All they have to say is that, even though it wasn't specified, the 'torture device' in question was extremely likely to have been a cross.

It has been a couple millennia since they changed their logo. Maybe it's time. Heheh. On second thought... a logo change and a bit of re-branding usually breathes new life into a product. Do we really want that?
The Human Wrote:It has been a couple millennia since they changed their logo. Maybe it's time. Heheh. On second thought... a logo change and a bit of re-branding usually breathes new life into a product. Do we really want that?

It could always be re-branded terribly. Everyone made fun of the new Pepsi logo, because it looks like a fat man. It could have papyrus and comic sans. It could have a gradient and Helvetica would work too, but only for post-modernists. It's supposed to be humanistic and inviting, but post-modernists will say that all the letters are the same, it's an army.

[Image: LOL_for_your_sins_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]

That just took a few minutes so it's not professionally terrible-- if there is such a thing. It's also not a new logo Undecided Sorry, I geeked out a bit there.

Yeah, it won't change anything, if they believe it's the word of God it's only there translation, you must have translated it bad.
Nonetheless, all this cross-shit seems to have been a much later fixation by the church.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_symb.htm

Quote:The first appearance of a cross in Christian art is on a Vatican sarcophagus from the mid-5th Century. 11 It was a Greek cross with equal-length arms. Jesus' body was not shown. The first crucifixion scenes didn't appear in Christian art until the 7th century CE. The original cross symbol was in the form of a Tau Cross. It was so named because it looked like the letter "tau", or our letter "T". One author speculates that the Church may have copied the symbol from the Pagan Druids who made crosses in this form to represent the Thau (god).
Why did the fish synbol not become as popular as the cross, its a much nicer symbol, (but looks a bit shit on a pendant)

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(July 2, 2010 at 11:22 am)Cego_Colher Wrote:
The Human Wrote:It has been a couple millennia since they changed their logo. Maybe it's time. Heheh. On second thought... a logo change and a bit of re-branding usually breathes new life into a product. Do we really want that?

It could always be re-branded terribly. Everyone made fun of the new Pepsi logo, because it looks like a fat man. It could have papyrus and comic sans. It could have a gradient and Helvetica would work too, but only for post-modernists. It's supposed to be humanistic and inviting, but post-modernists will say that all the letters are the same, it's an army.

[Image: LOL_for_your_sins_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]

That just took a few minutes so it's not professionally terrible-- if there is such a thing. It's also not a new logo Undecided Sorry, I geeked out a bit there.

Yeah, it won't change anything, if they believe it's the word of God it's only there translation, you must have translated it bad.

Nice logo. Wink Shades
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
[Image: jesus-fuck-your-sins.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I wish zentor 12 3537 June 21, 2012 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Whateverist