Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Yup. This is For Certain.
Yup. This is For Certain.
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/if-the-o...ad-by-now/

Quote:If the Oregon militiamen were Muslim or black, they’d be dead by now
RE: Yup. This is For Certain.
I am not saying take away their guns, but, yes, that is precisely what I am saying. Honestly, gun nutters are just that, nuts.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I don't know, comparing them to ISIS is pretty silly and obvious propaganda. They haven't done anything violent yet or terroristic yet. As for how they'd be treated if they were black, the black panthers did their marches armed quite frequently and weren't gunned down in mass. They were perceived as extremists, which they are, same with these guys. They are definitely extremists. But I don't think the idea that they'd be gunned down if they were black is backed up by much. A lone black man has a lot to fear from the cops, an armed group of them has less. That's just a silly statement that ignores the history (and modern times actually)

[Image: black-panthers-armed-march.jpg]
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Yeah...cuz the cops are always so restrained when dealing with peaceful protesters who are merely occupying a public space.

(January 4, 2016 at 7:01 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I don't know, comparing them to ISIS is pretty silly and obvious propaganda. They haven't done anything violent yet or terroristic yet. As for how they'd be treated if they were black, the black panthers did their marches armed quite frequently and weren't gunned down in mass. They were perceived as extremists, which they are, same with these guys. They are definitely extremists. But I don't think the idea that they'd be gunned down if they were black is backed up by much. A lone black man has a lot to fear from the cops, an armed group of them has less. That's just a silly statement that ignores the history (and modern times actually)

The OED defines terrorism as the use of violence or intimidation to achieve political goals.

They have committed a terrorist act, by definition.

(January 4, 2016 at 8:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yeah...cuz the cops are always so restrained when dealing with peaceful protesters who are merely occupying a public space.

So I guess the lesson is that if you're going to protest you should do it with guns.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(January 4, 2016 at 8:20 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(January 4, 2016 at 7:01 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I don't know, comparing them to ISIS is pretty silly and obvious propaganda. They haven't done anything violent yet or terroristic yet. As for how they'd be treated if they were black, the black panthers did their marches armed quite frequently and weren't gunned down in mass. They were perceived as extremists, which they are, same with these guys. They are definitely extremists. But I don't think the idea that they'd be gunned down if they were black is backed up by much. A lone black man has a lot to fear from the cops, an armed group of them has less.  That's just a silly statement that ignores the history (and modern times actually)

The OED defines terrorism as the use of violence or intimidation to achieve political goals.

They have committed a terrorist act, by definition.
Intimidation? I mean they haven't committed any violence. It's a peaceful protest, the only thing that makes it different from hippies sitting in in the redwoods is the guns. Even if you accept that, the comparison to ISIS is totally silly, actually kind of offensive. ISIS enslaves and beheads people. These guys haven't done anything like that.

That's aside from the point I was making though, which is that if the guys were Muslims or Black they would be killed. Now I can't speak for being Muslim, but Black protesters have done pretty similar armed demonstrations and not being massacred, as was implied in the first post. So I just think it's factually wrong to say that.
(January 4, 2016 at 8:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yeah...cuz the cops are always so restrained when dealing with peaceful protesters who are merely occupying a public space.

You seem to be making an argument for them having guns, not against it.
(January 4, 2016 at 9:38 pm)paulpablo Wrote:

So I guess the lesson is that if you're going to protest you should do it with guns.

Hey, it's the 'Murrican way.
(January 4, 2016 at 7:01 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I don't know, comparing them to ISIS is pretty silly and obvious propaganda. They haven't done anything violent yet or terroristic yet. As for how they'd be treated if they were black, the black panthers did their marches armed quite frequently and weren't gunned down in mass. They were perceived as extremists, which they are, same with these guys. They are definitely extremists. But I don't think the idea that they'd be gunned down if they were black is backed up by much. A lone black man has a lot to fear from the cops, an armed group of them has less. That's just a silly statement that ignores the history (and modern times actually)

Ah, so the Oklahoma bombing wasn't violent?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yup. It's Truer Now Than Ever Minimalist 11 932 November 27, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Yup. "Murrica Has No Shortage of Deplorable Motherfuckers Minimalist 202 21899 June 29, 2018 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Joods