Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Last Snowball"
"The Last Snowball"
So this is an excerpt of a book I'm currently writing. Its in the draft stages. Read, enjoy, discuss.

Charles stumbled along the faintly illuminated streets haphazardly, his loafers barely gripping on the ice. He lurched toward a traffic sign to steady himself and caught his breath. Through thick snow he scanned his gothic surroundings. "Welcome to Russia, bitch." they seemed to say. The scent of Jack Daniels greeted his own nostrils as he burst into a coughing fit. This, he decided, had been a terrible idea. The e-mail had had only three pieces of information. The subject line said "I'm sorry", the contents bore only an address and the e-mail was... hers. Even if the first two had not caught his attention the third definitely did. Ten years. Ten years it had been since they had last spoken. But like an obedient pet he had responded. He had traveled to the other side of the world; Siberia, to do so. To attend a meet, a meet she had not shown to. Charles grabbed for his hip flask to chase away the cold. "Still haven't kicked the habit I see." That voice. Like a chime resonating in the night air, cutting through the chill. Charles didn't express surprise, he didn't even turn around. He simply chanted the words he had carefully rehearsed in his head for this precise moment; "Fuck you Jane. What do you want." The sound of delicate footsteps in the crisp snow greeted his ears until they were right behind him. "I want to make up for what I did to you... I love you. I'm sorry, for everything. I want to spend my life with you." Charles heart quickened to words he had never dared dream he would hear. Words that could melt the thickest ice. He wasn't convinced. "You say that now? After what you did?" Her hand gripped his shoulder gently. "I know. I know and I can't make up for it but please... let me try. I don't want to be anywhere else but in your arms" A single tear drop traced a scar on Charles cheek and fell to the glistening white below. "I... love you too Jane... I always wi-" Charles words were cut off by a needle penetrating his jugular and cold laughter. When Charles came to he was handcuffed to a cheap bed, lying ontop of a dirty mattress in a derelict building. A familiar pain greeted him, he didn't even need to check to know what the damage was. "Oh for fu- AGAIN!?" He searched frantically hoping he would be proven wrong but he knew the score. Charles only remaining testicle was gone forever.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
RE: "The Last Snowball"
Reminds me of Beccs.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: "The Last Snowball"
-'Haphazardly' is not needed - no one stumbles 'purposely'.

-How can Charles steady himself by merely lurching 'toward' a traffic sign?

-Of course the scent of Jack Daniels greeted his 'own' nostrils. 'Own' is redundant.

-His first words to her ('Fuck you, Jane...') seem out of place. Ten years and a trip to Siberia and that's what he comes up with?

-Needs an explanation as to why he didn't contact her via email before travelling to Russia.

-More should be made of the drug's effect on Charles, both when he loses and regains consciousness.

-Nothing in the paragraph is very descriptive - 'gothic surroundings' (should be 'Gothic', btw)...'dirty mattress'...'derelict building'. These are all very vague and don't really pull the reader in.

Hope this helps.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last Day of Work Playlist Rev. Rye 0 282 October 25, 2021 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Her last days. Brian37 0 251 July 11, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Star Wars: The Last Jedi FIRST TRAILER! Aegon 93 13013 November 2, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Video So I watched Martyrs last night... Aractus 0 576 November 24, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  A Last Cigarette Ryantology 6 794 July 29, 2014 at 8:10 am
Last Post: ReGen
  last movie you watched 2 paulpablo 57 6737 December 29, 2013 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: StuW
  Rate the Last Movie You Have Seen muhtesem insan 14 2930 January 31, 2011 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: muhtesem insan