Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If a Nuclear bomb were dropped....
If a Nuclear bomb were dropped....
Hypothetically if a small terrorist group managed a one off nuclear attack on New York City, what do you think would be the consequences for the world?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: If a Nuclear bomb were dropped....
The US would invade Albania.
I would reckon it depends on the size of the weapon. Some might destroy the whole world, but, well, Nagasaki's still around.

If it were a smaller one, I'd say it would permanently alter the infrastructure of that whole state and beyond. I could imagine it setting up a second Constitutional Convention, or worse.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Yeah. The U.S. would pick one country as scapegoat for "harboring terrorists" and go after them, provided they have oil.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 28, 2016 at 1:28 pm)c172 Wrote: I would reckon it depends on the size of the weapon. Some might destroy the whole world, but, well, Nagasaki's still around.

If it were a smaller one, I'd say it would permanently alter the infrastructure of that whole state and beyond. I could imagine it setting up a second Constitutional Convention, or worse.

Lets just imagine a few million people are dead, and New York is effectively destroyed. The perpetrators were a small group of foreigners from different countries. What do you think the foreign and domestic reaction of the US government would be?
(January 28, 2016 at 1:30 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Yeah.  The U.S. would pick one country as scapegoat for "harboring terrorists" and go after them, provided they have oil.

That's what happened when a single building went down. I'd imagine a more extreme reaction from a whole city being destroyed.
(January 28, 2016 at 1:31 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(January 28, 2016 at 1:28 pm)c172 Wrote: I would reckon it depends on the size of the weapon. Some might destroy the whole world, but, well, Nagasaki's still around.

Lets just imagine a few million people are dead, and New York is effectively destroyed. The perpetrators were a small group of foreigners from different countries.  What do you think the foreign and domestic reaction of the US government would be?

We'd go batshit crazy.  Just like 9-11.
No, you wouldn't. In the case of Jihadism, it's an entirely different situation. The jihadist attacks are based in a certain ideology. If it were the case that simply certain members of certain societies converged for no particular reason to do such a thing no one would start a war with those countries for that reason alone. That's unthinkable. Not to mention if certain civilised countries perceived a real threat from the US... Let's just say it wouldn't go all that dandy for the US either.
(January 28, 2016 at 1:24 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Hypothetically if a small terrorist group managed a one off nuclear attack on New York City, what do you think would be the consequences for the world?

America would invade somewhere with oil.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 28, 2016 at 1:24 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Hypothetically if a small terrorist group managed a one off nuclear attack on New York City, what do you think would be the consequences for the world?

I think if that point were reached some countries would be wiped off the face of the earth. When we're talking about an attack like that, we're not only talking about America, we're talking about a real imminent threat to global civilization's survival. There would be very few options left to deal with that kind of situation.

I assume we're talking about Jihadists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New York City's video on how to survive a nuclear attack. Jehanne 50 2848 January 12, 2023 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 683 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1683 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Who were your heros? Brian37 10 648 July 28, 2020 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How were past times so violent? Macoleco 17 1093 April 19, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2159 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  What candy came out the year you were born? Foxaèr 23 1710 October 21, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  If you were to perform in drag.... Foxaèr 39 5336 May 29, 2018 at 5:24 am
Last Post: Whitewolf
  What would you do if you woke up one day to find you were the last person alive? Edwardo Piet 64 16353 October 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: c172
  Will there be a nuclear strike in your lifetime? CapnAwesome 55 11279 June 5, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Fireball