Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Liberty?
Religious Liberty?
To what extant should religious liberty in this nation be respected?

Everyone should be able to believe whatever they want including FSM Grin .

But.. at what point should the law respect religious beliefs?

When should allowances be made?

Surely companies, with a Christian basis should not be forced to provide contraception?

A Christina bakery.. shouldn't be...forced..to bake a cake for a gay couples wedding?

Thoughts?
RE: Religious Liberty?
There should not be any limit on religious beliefs - none whatsoever. The only thing limited should be actions that violate the law, irrespective of whether or not those actions are based in religion.

In simpler terms, you can believe whatever you like, you just can't do whatever you like.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
You say that as if a person's beliefs and their actions are mutually exclusive. If they believe they have divine mandate to perform acts of violence or to oppress certain people, then they're going to feel obligated to do so.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
To the extent that we allow them to believe what they want to believe, but not to the extent that they can impose their beliefs on others. For instance, Kim Davis has the right to believe homosexuality is immoral. She does not have the right to refuse to do her job, or interfere with other people's jobs, which she obviously has done.

Companies should do their job, regardless of the customer, as long as the money is good. If you allow stores to refuse service, you're basically letting them decide who can and can't live in the town they sell goods in.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 9, 2016 at 9:18 pm)Chad32 Wrote: To the extent that we allow them to believe what they want to believe, but not to the extent that they can impose their beliefs on others. For instance, Kim Davis has the right to believe homosexuality is immoral. She does not have the right to refuse to do her job, or interfere with other people's jobs, which she obviously has done.

Companies should do their job, regardless of the customer, as long as the money is good. If you allow stores to refuse service, you're basically letting them decide who can and can't live in the town they sell goods in.

^^^This^^^

And where does this end? "I don't like people with dark skin so I refuse to serve them"?

I wonder if those supporting this bakery would scream if I refused to serve Christians in my line of work?
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 9, 2016 at 8:51 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: To what extant should religious liberty in this nation be respected?

Surely companies, with a Christian basis should not be forced to provide contraception?

A Christina bakery.. shouldn't be...forced..to bake a cake for a gay couples wedding?

Thoughts?
Your freedom ends where my nose begins.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Religious Liberty?
(February 9, 2016 at 8:51 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: A Christina bakery.. shouldn't be...forced..to bake a cake for a gay couples wedding?

A Christian bakery should be forced to bake this.

Troll baiting again I see!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 9, 2016 at 8:51 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: To what extant should religious liberty in this nation be respected?

Thoughts?

The problem is it's a slippery slope.  How long would it be, if they were allowed, before Southerners would exercising their "religious freedom" not to let gay people work?  Buy food?  Walk on their streets?  Swim in their swimming pools?  Drink water from public fountains?

Replay "gay" with "black" and  you should see pretty quickly what I mean.  Because religion is undefined, and ANY bullshit prejudice can be drawn under some asshole's definition of "religion," and that means that all laws regarding human liberty and equality would have an escape clause.

Pastafarianism (I say) precludes the posting of intolerant religious ideas in the Philosophy section.  Therefore, you are violating my religious liberty right now!
Like moths to a flame...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---