Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:40 pm

Poll: Is religion beginning to lose its grip on the virtual monopoly it has concocted over electoral politics in the U.S.?
This poll is closed.
Yes
40.00%
2 40.00%
I'm a realist. So no, not damn likely that it will.
20.00%
1 20.00%
Maybe... I don't know, but I sure hope so!
40.00%
2 40.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism & Politics in America
Atheism & Politics in America
Came across this article, written by a self-identified jewish atheist about Bernie Sanders' distinct approach to religion as a presidential candidate and its derived implications as a part of a lens through which to look at and analyze atheism's social standing as a deeply controversial position to hold (publicly), one that in American politics has hitherto been associated with nothing less than political suicide.

What do you think? Is the american zeigeist, slowly but surely, changing in this particular regard?

Quote:For too long, politicians have been called upon to tout their (typically Christian) faith in order to be deemed electable. This lack of authenticity has wide-ranging consequences. When voters accept that politicians must obscure the truth about their beliefs in order to win a race, we effectively relinquish a basic psychological pre-condition for trust. Sanders’ honesty may make Americans—religious and non-religious alike—trust him more, and perhaps even wake us from our stupor of cynicism.

What’s more, the notion that candidates are only viable if they comport themselves as church-going Christians has become increasingly outdated. A 2015 Pew study showed that 23% of Americans chose “none” when asked about their religion. A and under do not affiliate themselves with any religion; and 7% of Americans define themselves as atheists or agnostics. These changes are happening across a wide range of demographic groups, as the Pew study notes.

http://qz.com/609533/bernie-sanders-lack...r-america/
RE: Atheism & Politics in America
The above quote didn't show in full because of a few hyperlinks I failed to edit after pasting the two paragraphs. Here's the correct version for those of you that aren't amenable to reading the complete article on its website. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote:For too long, politicians have been called upon to tout their (typically Christian) faith in order to be deemed electable. This lack of authenticity has wide-ranging consequences. When voters accept that politicians must obscure the truth about their beliefs in order to win a race, we effectively relinquish a basic psychological pre-condition for trust. Sanders’ honesty may make Americans—religious and non-religious alike—trust him more, and perhaps even wake us from our stupor of cynicism.

What’s more, the notion that candidates are only viable if they comport themselves as church-going Christians has become increasingly outdated. A 2015 Pew study showed that 23% of Americans chose “none” when asked about their religion. A full third of Americans ages 30 and under do not affiliate themselves with any religion; and 7% of Americans define themselves as atheists or agnostics. These changes are happening across a wide range of demographic groups, as the Pew study notes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2430 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  How does your WV inform your politics? FrustratedFool 142 7024 September 8, 2023 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  When Grown-Up Play Politics BrianSoddingBoru4 0 328 December 18, 2022 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3941 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7584 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7433 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3138 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Our politics is for slaves and suckers. brokefree 12 778 June 10, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 490 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Politics and Twitter. Brian37 27 1329 May 6, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist