Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New deconvert here
Question 
New deconvert here
Hello everyone. I am a newly converted Agnostic-Atheist. I used to be what you would call a fundamentalist "non-denominational" Pentecostal/Charismatic/whatever Christian.

Although my deconversion process has been ongoing for the last few years, it wasn't about until a month ago that I really made the choice to begin to abandon religion completely.

Of course, I haven't really told anyone I'm an Atheist yet.
I plan on doing so soon, but I'm not quite ready yet
So as far as my friends/family are concerned, I am a good "church going" Christian.

I am not giving details about my de-conversion story in this post (since it belongs in a different section) but to make a long story short, I was raised in the church most of my life, and I believed in Jesus with all my heart. I went to college for about 3 years, and began to take a serious look at the fucked-up nature of the world.

At first I didn't want to believe that the bible could be wrong. However over time; after seeing the fall of ministers that I had previously held in high regard, seeing so much injustice in the world, looking at the bible searching for answers but finding none, and seeing alot of stuff in my religion that I really hated, I began my search for the truth. I began watching videos like Zietgiest, Jesus Camp, YouTube videos on channels like LovingDoubt (who is awesome BTW!), and others.

After weighing the evidence, I have come to the conclusion that not only is religion bullshit, it is also insidious, malevolent, and controlling. That does not mean that the people are. In fact many religious people are good. Although they are misguided, many of them try to legitimately make the world a better place through practical means. Of course, their religion hinders this in my opinion.

So I don't hate them, I actually feel sorry for them.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and talk a little bit about how I came to be an Agnostic Atheist.
Looking forward to the wonders of freedom outside of religiosity! ^_^

*PS I am also a HUGE Babylon 5 fan!
RE: New deconvert here
Welcome to the forums Big Grin

I'm sure you'll fit right in
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Welcome Ambassador!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Welcome along Big Grin

You'll find plenty of ex-theists here, as well as some still-theists Tongue
Welcome to the forums! A fresh de-convert is something that always gives me a smile. I look forward to your input.
Welcome. I, like you, hate the faith but not the faithead. I think religion is an evil but I don't think all religious people are "bad".

EvF
(July 18, 2010 at 10:20 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Welcome. I, like you, hate the faith but not the faithead. I think religion is an evil but I don't think all religious people are "bad".

EvF

I agree completely, Evie. I'll go so far as to say that I think most followers of organized religion are victims... and not to blame for their deluded beliefs.
Hi. I'm pretty new, too. You made the right choice with abandoning religion. Clap Welcome.
Quote:I used to be what you would call a fundamentalist "non-denominational" Pentecostal/Charismatic/whatever Christian.

I just call them "assholes." Shorter.

Glad you saw the light.
Hi, welcome and stuff. Smile
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 564 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New Here Nomistic 13 615 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 990 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am