Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi There
Hi There
HI Folks

I decided to join you here as I enjoy debate on the subject of faith and in particular, the Christian faith. I've been puzzled by the rise of atheism in recent years and have a sneaking suspicion that many atheists might just be "spiritual people in denial." I thought I might spend some time getting to know how the atheist mind works, and see if I can sharpen my debating skills in defense of the Christian faith.

Cheers

AJ
RE: Hi There
Welcome. We always welcome honest, open-minded debaters. Please try to keep your assumptions about how we think to a minimum; ask, instead. For instance:

Is it possible that you have a "sneaking suspicion" because that's what practically every preacher on the planet uses to "explain" why people are leaving the faith in droves, rather than admitting there might be people who simply choose not to continue to wear their rose-colored glasses when examining the scriptures the religion claims was written by an almighty and loving deity rather than by the mere humans who did the writing?

There is no such thing as "the atheist mind". We are as diverse as any group you could imagine, except for the fact that we have no preset reason to reject scientific discoveries nor do we think that there are magical causes for mundane occurrences.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Welcome!
Thou hast come to the right place. have fun
Following the discussions!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hmmm.... and do you consider yourself a True Christian?
A hesitant welcome to you. Here's hoping you're not a sock.

Also, what Rocket said.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Hi there, welcome Smile

As Rocket said, please remember we are all individuals. Coming to general conclusions about atheists is a task guaranteed to fail.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
You truly are welcome, Christian person. It's true. There are other Christians here. Hold on to your socks, because you'll be surprised. 

Tongue  nah! Welcome. It's cozy here. Grab a onesie and make yourself comfortable. Just don't forget that you aren't allowed near the off topic section if you don't rep me first. Oh, and you can't use the words "fact", "theory", or "Bible" unless you give me a rep. Welcome, truly.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(March 2, 2016 at 2:07 am)Minimalist Wrote: Hmmm.... and do you consider yourself a True Christian?

Yep.
(March 2, 2016 at 2:25 am)AJW333 Wrote:
(March 2, 2016 at 2:07 am)Minimalist Wrote: Hmmm.... and do you consider yourself a True Christian?

Yep.

4 Horsemen

I'm kidding! Don't ban me!  Angel
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(March 2, 2016 at 2:19 am)Mamacita Wrote: You truly are welcome, Christian person. It's true. There are other Christians here. Hold on to your socks, because you'll be surprised. 

Tongue  nah! Welcome. It's cozy here. Grab a onesie and make yourself comfortable. Just don't forget that you aren't allowed near the off topic section if you don't rep me first. Oh, and you can't use the words "fact", "theory", or "Bible" unless you give me a rep. Welcome, truly.

Thanks. What's a rep?

(March 2, 2016 at 2:19 am)Mamacita Wrote: You truly are welcome, Christian person. It's true. There are other Christians here. Hold on to your socks, because you'll be surprised. 

Thanks. Not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey there, hi there, ho there NaughtyButNice 19 3088 February 14, 2016 at 4:56 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello!!! I am glad to see there is an awesome atheist community out there! The Reason Tribune 2 1824 August 31, 2012 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused