Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why that God or gods?
Why that God or gods?
To the theists here, why do you believe in your particular God or gods? Please elaborate.
(Atheists wanting to play Devil's advocate are certainly welcomeSmile I'm not experienced at that myself yet.)
RE: Why that God or gods?
From an atheist point of view, I'd have to say that the for the vast majority it has only to do with where you were born and how you were raised. Although, now that i think about it, I'd like to know the statistics for conversions to other religions?
Although I was exposed to Christianity from a young age, I questioned it all in my teens. I looked at other religions and was drawn back to Christianity as it has the 'ring of truth' about it compared to other religions. Maybe I was predisposed to see it as truth because of my earlier exposure. Who knows! I still think it appeals more than other religions, or rather Jesus' teachings have much appeal to me.
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein
(December 15, 2008 at 10:33 am)CoxRox Wrote: Although I was exposed to Christianity from a young age, I questioned it all in my teens. I looked at other religions and was drawn back to Christianity as it has the 'ring of truth' about it compared to other religions. Maybe I was predisposed to see it as truth because of my earlier exposure. Who knows! I still think it appeals more than other religions, or rather Jesus' teachings have much appeal to me.

Jesus said a few nice things. Even some of us atheists live by some of the things Jesus said. Yet we don't subscribe to the entire religion behind it. No, no, no Tongue
(December 15, 2008 at 10:33 am)CoxRox Wrote: Although I was exposed to Christianity from a young age, I questioned it all in my teens. I looked at other religions and was drawn back to Christianity as it has the 'ring of truth' about it compared to other religions. Maybe I was predisposed to see it as truth because of my earlier exposure. Who knows! I still think it appeals more than other religions, or rather Jesus' teachings have much appeal to me.
So if I have understood you correctly you believe in Christianity because it appeals to you? Of course if it appeals that doesn't make it true.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Carl Sagan
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Well, I used to be in a catholic school and I used to believe in God when I was a little kid (8-12 years), I used to believe in God, because they had told me God was responsible for all the good in the world and he would send you to hell if you woulldn't obey him...
They literally scared me into Christianity.
The only reason I believed in god during those four years, was fear.
Fear of going to hell and burning for all eternity, they still use that same method in my old school.
Frighten the kids into believing in God seems to work quite well.
dog·ma
n. pl. dog·mas or dog·ma·ta (-mə-tə)
1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.
I'm sure that the accounts of Mohammed are as appealing to muslims, so I know appeal is not as important as the truth. It's not until you really explore religious beliefs that you realise they are propped up by not much more than sentiment and wishful thinking- or so it now seems....Confused
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein
i have been brought up by an agnostic mother atheist father.
went to a lutheran school for years 7-12(my choice of school)
i got a bit sucked in/brainwashed/manipulated.. in and out towards the end of year 7..
i think i was a bit weak emotionally because of the whole new school thing and going to chapel every morning at school..
towards the middle/end of year 8 i started telling people that i had chosen to go to hell lol.. so then i could so lead an easy life now and live by my own rules.
i think by middle of year 9 i went to being an agnostic.. which eventually turned to atheist.
so yep that is why i believed in god for a short moment of my life.
[Image: geelong_football_club.jpg]My site: http://puglover.org
Bex loves: skiing, bike riding, maths, pugs,
her atheist society, politics and religious studies.
I think a lot of "casually religious" people take the position that all religions are just different interpretations and different ways of honouring the same creator based on geological location. It's sorta like 'God' is a constant, but religions are regional, like langauges.

I don't buy that though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20934 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2455 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10843 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2020 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3637 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8671 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 13033 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  A Thousand Gods? chimp3 22 2874 October 19, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  False pagan gods are not the True ones? theBorg 88 15818 August 17, 2016 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why did we stop inventing gods? Greatest I am 58 5776 August 16, 2016 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin