Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pseudo-bullshit correlates with stupidity, shocker
Pseudo-bullshit correlates with stupidity, shocker
http://gizmodo.com/scientists-are-still-...1762272253
Quote:Remember last November when Canadian scientists  using the tweets of Deepak Chopra to demonstrate how some people can interpret utter bullshit as deeply profound observations? It’s now sparked a counter-argument and a sharp rejoinder—two respectable scientists arguing about the meaning (or lack thereof) of bullshit.

Well, this is funny. I thought it was a joke at first but apparently they actually published a paper about it:
http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.pdf

Angel

What Chopra thinks about gravitational waves[quote from the same article as linked to further above]
Quote:Incidentally, Chopra weighed in on the recent discovery of gravitational waves. Writing at the Huffington Post, he dismissed the biggest science story of the year as little more than a “red herring,” distracting us all from the true mystery surrounding quantum consciousness and the nature of reality.

So, what do you guys think? Should we pay better attention to the information we receive or what?
RE: Pseudo-bullshit correlates with stupidity, shocker
It's amazing how quickly people can dismiss things they've only just heard about in favour of their unsupported nonsense.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Deepak Chopra is a putz. I admire his ability to make filthy lucre off his shtick, however.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 3, 2016 at 6:06 am)robvalue Wrote: It's amazing how quickly people can dismiss things they've only just heard about in favour of their unsupported nonsense.

The basis of every religion, mon ami.
I start every day with a quote. You can also.

This morning I got "The web of life constructs exponential bliss." I'm so happy now.

http://www.wisdomofchopra.com/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
He should peddle that bullshit to these kids.

[Image: poverty-in-africa.jpg]
Deepak Chopra's the embodiment of that one kid in class who cannot make a coherent argument so instead resorts to using sophisticated words in attempt of having his argument appear as such.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
Deepak successfully lives his life by one rule.

IF YOU CAN'T DAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLIANCE,
THEN BAFFLE THEM WITH BULLSHIT.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Quote:As Gizmodo’s Matt Novak reported last fall, Gordon Pennycook and his Waterloo colleagues took a 2014 Chopra tweet, “and presented it to study participants along with randomly generated statements that employed profound-sounding buzzwords. The statements made sense grammatically, but made absolutely no sense logically.”

Chopra’s tweet was indistinguishable from the randomly generated nonsense. And the less skeptical and analytical the participant, the more likely he or she was to interpret random nonsense as being deeply profound.

For those who don't want to access the link.^^
That's so deep.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3599 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Is traditionalism bullshit? MusicLovingAtheist 31 4941 September 14, 2014 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Whateverist