Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is God infinitely complex?
Is God infinitely complex?
Many theologians say that god is "simple", but if god is simple, does not that make god finite?
RE: Is God infinitely complex?
Why not ask if Odin's infinetely complex?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 3, 2016 at 7:14 pm)abaris Wrote: Why not ask if Odin's infinetely complex?

Ssssh!  Don't "spoil" it; I am trying to get at Dawkins' arguments in The God Delusion.

Everyone else, ignore this post!
Why?

Don't you have arguments of your own?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
... What
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
(March 3, 2016 at 7:11 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Many theologians say that god is "simple", but if god is simple, does not that make god finite?

Aren't theologians those who couldn't grasp the fundamentals of science?
A theologian has no better understanding of God than Luigi the bricklayer next door.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 3, 2016 at 7:11 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Many theologians say that god is "simple", but if god is simple, does not that make god finite?

Why should it? A circle is simple in both construction and explanation, but is effectively infinite.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Can't god be infinite and finite and complex and simple all at the same time ?

Sheesh, what part of omniscient/omnipotent aren't we getting here ??

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Divine Simplicity isn't a simple topic. It is the topic of Question 3 of Aquinas's Summa Theologica. His treatment of Question 3 consists of 8 Articles, each of which considers multiple points.
(March 3, 2016 at 7:19 pm)abaris Wrote: Why?

Don't you have arguments of your own?

I am not arguing that god exists, rather, I am trying to demonstrate yet another paradox of an infinite being's existence versus just accepting the Universe's existence, even if the latter is finite.  So, if an omnipotent, eternal, uncaused being, "god", exists, is such a being infinitely complex?  This is a question and not a statement.