Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humans evolved from monkeys
Humans evolved from monkeys
I'm still learning about the evolution stuff, but there's some dude on twitter hammering me over the statement that humans did not evolve from monkeys. 

His argument is that humans DID evolve from monkeys and he cites this as his source: 

http://anthro.palomar.edu/earlyprimates/early_2.htm

So, is this guy actually right? 

I know extant monkeys share a common ancestor with humans, but what about extinct monkeys? 

Thanks.
RE: Humans evolved from monkeys
http://phys.org/news/2012-08-genetic-hum...erged.html

Quote:The end result of the team’s research indicates that humans and chimps likely diverged some seven to eight million years ago, while the divergence of gorillas (which led to both humans and chimps) came approximately eight to nineteen million years ago. To put the numbers in perspective, humans and Neanderthals split just a half to three quarters of a million years ago.

[url=http://phys.org/news/2012-08-genetic-humans-great-apes-diverged.html#jCp][/url]
I think defining your terms might be helpful.

The term "monkey" is not synonymous with the word "ape."

Chimpanzees, Gorillas, Gibbons, and Bonobos are not monkeys. They are apes. So are humans.

All monkeys and apes are primates, however. Somewhere along the line, we all share a primate ancestor.

So your twitter friend is indeed incorrect. We evolved from an early primate ancestor, not a monkey. The monkeys are like cousins to our close Hominoidae Family.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 8, 2016 at 8:35 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I think defining your terms might be helpful.

The term "monkey" is not synonymous with the word "ape."

Chimpanzees, Gorillas, Gibbons, and Bonobos are not monkeys. They are apes. So are humans.

All monkeys and apes are primates, however. Somewhere along the line, we all share a primate ancestor.

So your twitter friend is indeed incorrect. We evolved from an early primate ancestor, not a monkey. The monkeys are like cousins to our close Hominoidae Family.

But his point specifically is that we did evolve from monkeys.  The word "monkey" is very important because he's a theist schooling atheists who he says don't actually know anything about evolution.  I've found many sites that explain that humans did not evolve from monkeys, but he won't accept any source unless it's a science journal or equivalent.
Then invite him to go fuck himself.  You don't owe an idiot anything.

Problem solved.

(You might try asking him for some such "journal" which says we did evolve from monkeys.)
Well, academic journals don't quibble over commonly understood definitions. He's asking the equivalent of "Find me an academic journal that says that cat is spelled c-a-t. Unless you do, I am asserting that it has a 'k' in it."

He's wrong.

Monkeys and Apes share a common ancestor. We, and they, evolved from that ancestor.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 8, 2016 at 8:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: (You might try asking him for some such "journal" which says we did evolve from monkeys.)

This.

(March 8, 2016 at 8:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Then invite him to go fuck himself.  You don't owe an idiot anything.

Problem solved.

(You might try asking him for some such "journal" which says we did evolve from monkeys.)

Just trying to learn how I can back up my arguments.  Learning opportunity for me.
(March 8, 2016 at 8:46 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(March 8, 2016 at 8:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: (You might try asking him for some such "journal" which says we did evolve from monkeys.)

This.

His source is a "college source" thus undefeatable apparently.
What is the source?

The source you posted in the OP confirmed what we're saying.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More domestication of humans. Jehanne 5 908 November 9, 2022 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  How humans & cats see things at night. Jehanne 3 651 November 1, 2022 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are other races more evolved than Blacks? Alexmahone 164 17264 March 18, 2022 at 4:22 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 514 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Cloned monkeys: First primate clones are created in lab shadow 2 519 January 25, 2018 at 5:56 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  What part of the world did the first humans assemble? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!! 18 3786 October 18, 2014 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Sexual relationships in animals vs. humans Kayenneh 6 2957 March 29, 2014 at 1:35 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  3 species of Beetle have evolved different walking technique to other beetles. downbeatplumb 0 1407 October 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why humans are so distinct from other species? Meylis Delano Lawrence 65 17880 March 3, 2013 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Cato
  More on Monkeys and Sex. The Grand Nudger 0 879 December 9, 2012 at 11:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger