Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craig, Van Inwagen, and Bridges
Craig, Van Inwagen, and Bridges
I found these vids through the excellent (atheistic) philosophy page on Facebook called "Real Atheology" (run by Grand Rapids, MI philosopher Justin Scheiber). It is a fantastic page. Anyway, here are two videos he recently posted and they are worth every minute of your time. The first is about "God and abstract objects," and while both vids are technical (read: difficult to fully grasp, especially for those not familiar with philosophy), this in particular is sure to turn off some people for no other reason than it's a philosophical discussion between three Christian philosophers. Anyway, there's some weird religious shit (they end the debate/discussion in prayer) but I thought 95% of it was absolutely wonderful and informative and (highly) interesting. The second video is a response to Alvin Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism by an (Australian?) atheist philosopher of whom I have no prior knowledge. It's a good reply to what I consider a good argument (not good in the sense of valid but in the sense of intrigue and thoughtfulness), and it is also well worth a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFU1BKxJf1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRA06xlzOq0
Enjoy.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Craig, Van Inwagen, and Bridges
Sorry, but watching three hours of Christian circle-jerking isn't 'worth every minute of my time'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Thanks Nestor.

I really like hearing Christian philosophers. In some sense, I respect them because they are trying to support a philosophically difficult position.
(April 2, 2016 at 4:31 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Sorry, but watching three hours of Christian circle-jerking isn't 'worth every minute of my time'.

Boru
Nah, probably not your time. There are some good cat videos out there I'm sure. Though, it is funny that you should mention "circle-jerking" because questions such as "Can a shape exist of which no object has or will partake of its form?" have never been limited to believers.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(April 2, 2016 at 2:33 pm)Mudhammam Wrote:
(April 2, 2016 at 4:31 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Sorry, but watching three hours of Christian circle-jerking isn't 'worth every minute of my time'.

Boru
Nah, probably not your time. There are some good cat videos out there I'm sure. Though, it is funny that you should mention "circle-jerking" because questions such as "Can a shape exist of which no object has or will partake of its form?" have never been limited to believers.
Now now, don't be harsh.  The "You're Christian, so you're dumb, and I can't hear you.  La la la la la I can't hear you" argument is among the best philosophical positions ever.

To be honest, I found Craig's discussion of John, Christianity and Platonism very fascinating.

Boru

3 minutes would be asking a lot.
Why are people coming to this thread and trashing the content, without actually listening to the content? Would I come to your cat-video threads, refuse to watch any of the cat videos, and then say, "Cats are fucking useless. I'd never waste my time watching cat videos"? No, I wouldn't. Because due to my strong belief in the uselessness of cats and my total disinterest in watching videos about them, I'd realize that I had nothing useful to contribute to that thread, and I'd have the sense to walk away without saying anything.

@Mudhammam
Good luck with this thread. I think we can all see where it's going.

Boru

Didn't you mean "any" minute?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 2, 2016 at 8:34 pm)abaris Wrote:

Boru

Didn't you mean "any" minute?

I accept the correction. Big Grin

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 2, 2016 at 8:01 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Why are people coming to this thread and trashing the content, without actually listening to the content? Would I come to your cat-video threads, refuse to watch any of the cat videos, and then say, "Cats are fucking useless. I'd never waste my time watching cat videos"? No, I wouldn't. Because due to my strong belief in the uselessness of cats and my total disinterest in watching videos about them, I'd realize that I had nothing useful to contribute to that thread, and I'd have the sense to walk away without saying anything.

@Mudhammam
Good luck with this thread. I think we can all see where it's going.
But I thought it's only the religious who bask in their own ignorance and closed mindedness? Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  William Craig's problem with actual infinities. Jehanne 11 2410 February 2, 2016 at 12:12 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.) Whateverist 94 15867 August 11, 2014 at 3:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  william l. craig justin 22 5339 March 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome