Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello to all!
Hello to all!
Hi, my name is Nic, I am 28 y/o and i was born and still live in the tiny island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean! I found this forum while surfing around the interwebz and decided to register and say hi to everyone! I don't know exactly when and how i became an Atheist, i don't even know if i fit the profile of one, i just don't believe in the concept of a God or Gods in the sense that one supreme conscious being made and is overlooking the entire universe and making sure things are working as they should like an intergalactic overseer! I am a very strong believer of science! So, even now, if someone asks me "Ok, don't you believe in anything, ANY God whatsoever?", I half jokingly reply "If i had to choose a God, i would choose Mathematics!". I don't know if I would categorize myself as an Agnostic, but, I am a very strong believer in the "the lack of a disprove of something, is not a prof for it, but the lack of proof is enough to disprove something or at the very least render it invalid until proven!". I will take cold, blunt, hurtful truth over reassuring illusion any day!

What i hope to get out of this community, is maybe some discussions and ideas that are a bit higher level from what i get out of people in my country. Even though my close friends and immediate family are at best only slightly religious, being narrow minded is the de facto status for the majority of people living in Cyprus and unfortunately, more often that not, i find myself having to defend against name calling and having a discussions degrade to such a level that I end up avoiding joining religious (or political for that matter) discussions altogether as I end up feeling more stupid exiting the discussion than when I entered it! I don't know if others in here found themselves in similar situations but I'm gonna guess some of you might have.

In any case, after this short introduction, I hope my stay in this community is pleasant, enjoyable and enlightening for both myself and the rest of the community! Cheers and good day to all Wink
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in, some of us just go one god further..." Richard Dawkins

"If the world does come to an end here, or wherever, or if it limps into the future, decimated by the effects of religion-inspired nuclear terrorism, let's remember what the real problem was that we learned how to precipitate mass death before we got past the neurological disorder of wishing for it." Bill Maher
RE: Hello to all!
Hi, and welcome aboard the sanity train.

Fuck knows where we're going though.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Welcome, Gfailure! I don't know where this train is going either, but at least the food is good.
Hi G

Welcome along. Also, what's life like in Cyprus? Is it very religious etc.?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Hi. I hate your god, Math, but I guess I can respect him, so it's okay. He'd make perfect sense to me most of the time if I only had enough figures. Smile

but Welcome.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Nice to meet you Gfailure! Though while Adrian and crew are godly when it comes to mathematics I don't think they'd approve of viewing it as a god, unless there's an Algebraic equation or expression for it. ^^

(July 24, 2010 at 7:54 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Hi, and welcome aboard the sanity train.

Fuck knows where we're going though.
Despite the fact that there is no destination, since learning about reality (and each other) never stops (well until we die), we're endlessly being delayed by these insane leaves on the track! We're slipping on this monster-of-a-leaf Fred Phelps as we speak!
Cool, a guy from Cyprus. I'm a geography nut.
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Yes Cyprus is a very religious country, Christian Orthodox in the vast majority! The church holds so much power here its borderline scary....too much power if you ask me, but then again, I might be a bit biased!! Smile A recent survey showed that the Cyprus church is the 2nd richest church, just under the Vatican....in a country of little over half a million people ;/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in, some of us just go one god further..." Richard Dawkins

"If the world does come to an end here, or wherever, or if it limps into the future, decimated by the effects of religion-inspired nuclear terrorism, let's remember what the real problem was that we learned how to precipitate mass death before we got past the neurological disorder of wishing for it." Bill Maher

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello to all SimpleCaveman 52 3590 November 29, 2023 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: SimpleCaveman
  Hello y'all BillieBobbie 3 725 January 18, 2023 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Objectivist
  Twitter refugee, hello all Dizzyagain 27 1770 October 20, 2020 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Dizzyagain
  Hello All! Smedders 11 741 December 29, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello all Bmanne 23 2980 December 12, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: sebaslopez
  Hello All Mark Alien 24 2691 August 7, 2019 at 11:25 am
Last Post: veoli
  Hello all ohio_drg 13 1342 September 28, 2018 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hi all - new here is all.... val5662 15 2161 March 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello all I am new at the forums blackstar 15 3312 October 21, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello all ! webrn 32 4200 October 18, 2015 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Losty