Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right... but
Right... but
Hannibal only got one elephant over the Alps out of roughly 40 he started with when he left Spain.  Why not look for elephant bones?  Those should stand out even better than horseshit.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/how-anci...-the-alps/

Quote:How ancient horse-dung bacteria is helping us locate where Hannibal crossed the Alps
RE: Right... but
Actually, convention wisdom is that H made it over the Alps with his elephants intact - he used them at Trebbia. Most of them died that winter, and he didn't have any by the time of the battle of Cannae.

So, searching the Alps for elephant bones wouldn't help us know where Hannibal crossed, but horses shit EVERY where.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not according to this:

http://www.historyextra.com/qa/how-many-...-over-alps

Quote:In the event, although Hannibal did successfully negotiate the Alpine passes, his losses were considerable. Over half his army died in the severe, cold conditions, Hannibal himself was blinded in one eye, and it is recorded that only one of his elephants survived the trek. This lone elephant was used by Hannibal to ride in triumph into the city of Capua.

Elephants by 218 BC were no longer a novelty to the Romans.  They had overcome Pyrrhus' use of them over 50 years earlier.  However, they were totally outmatched by Hannibal's Numidian cavalry.  The Romans were not great horsemen.
(April 4, 2016 at 7:45 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ...but horses shit EVERY where.

Boru
*edited by me

All I gotz to say is Road Apples. 

Those living in areas of Amish people know exactly what I'm referring to.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Quote: Two amish women were digging potatoes in the field one day. Bessie pulled out two huge ones. she turned to Sara and said "Ya know Sara, these potatoes remind me of my Jakies balls." "Why you mean that.. Jakies balls are that big?" asked Sara. "No", replied Bessie, "but they are that dirty."
http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(April 4, 2016 at 7:45 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Actually, convention wisdom is that H made it over the Alps with his elephants intact - he used them at Trebbia.  Most of them died that winter, and he didn't have any by the time of the battle of Cannae.

Boru

Actually, history moved away from Hannibal bringing most of his elephants over the alps. Quite some time ago, as it is. I remember the consensus being that only one or two made it, already in the early 90ies. Unless there's some new research I'm not aware of.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]