Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Tribalism.
American Tribalism.
If we can for a moment ignore our own candidate preference: Let me be clear, we are not talking about individual candidates or their statements or any campaigning they have done. That's out of bounds to my question and if you advocate or antagonize for one candidate or the other that's unrelated, unhelpful and I would hope a mod or something would help us all out in that regard.

My Question:

During this presidential campaign where most folks seem to care and some folks come out for a candidate that otherwise hadn't been involved, why is it so divisive? 

In other-words why do you feel or observe the preference to "tribe up" with a stance? Liberal, progressive, conservative, moderate, democrat, republican, conservative?
"I'm thick." - Me
RE: American Tribalism.
I guess there is the situation where you feel one side or the other is a threat to your well-being or your way of life. It may or may not reflect reality. I have experienced it twice.

The first time was in 1976 when Jimmy Carter was elected President. I felt he was a dangerously weak President in the face of the Soviet Union. He was indeed perceived that way on the world stage - most famously when Iran took the American Embassy hostages during his presidency and released them on the day Ronald Reagan was inaugurated. I never forgot a political cartoon which showed the Ayatolla Khomeni with a Jimmy Carter for President button saying, "Well I don't like him either but frankly, Reagan scares me." Then there was accepting Cuban refugees who Castro had released from prison - the most violent of offenders - perhaps the stupidist act ever of an American President. I think I was right. Jimmy Carter is an exemplary human being but was a horrible President.

The second was in 2000 when the election was stolen by the idiot George W Bush. This is a man who said during an interview, "Seldom is the question asked, is our children learning?" While Carter was intelligent but lacking in common sense, here was a fucking idiot who I wouldn't trust to manage a Circle K - never mind the most powerful country on the planet. And once again, my fears were justified. He pissed away the surplus Bill Clinton built, cut taxes and took the country into a war of aggression based upon a fucking lie.

So choosing a President can be a very big deal. It shouldn't surprise that it's divisive.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(April 8, 2016 at 3:39 am)AFTT47 Wrote: I guess there is the situation where you feel one side or the other is a threat to your well-being or your way of life. It may or may not reflect reality. I have experienced it twice.

The first time was in 1976 when Jimmy Carter was elected President. I felt he was a dangerously weak President in the face of the Soviet Union. He was indeed perceived that way on the world stage - most famously when Iran took the American Embassy hostages during his presidency and released them on the day Ronald Reagan was inaugurated. I never forgot a political cartoon which showed the Ayatolla Khomeni with a Jimmy Carter for President button saying, "Well I don't like him either but frankly, Reagan scares me." Then there was accepting Cuban refugees who Castro had released from prison - the most violent of offenders - perhaps the stupidist act ever of an American President. I think I was right. Jimmy Carter is an exemplary human being but was a horrible President.

The second was in 2000 when the election was stolen by the idiot George W Bush. This is a man who said during an interview, "Seldom is the question asked, is our children learning?" While Carter was intelligent but lacking in common sense, here was a fucking idiot who I wouldn't trust to manage a Circle K - never mind the most powerful country on the planet. And once again, my fears were justified. He pissed away the surplus Bill Clinton built, cut taxes and took the country into a war of aggression based upon a fucking lie.

So choosing a President can be a very big deal. It shouldn't surprise that it's divisive.

That's all very interesting. I didn't know that there was a political cartoon that undermined the Carter reelection. However, that wasn't at all my question.

Going from your first sentence (the only one relevant to my question) you'd self label and "tribe up" because of fear?
"I'm thick." - Me
I don't know what you're asking. I "tribed up" because I had a strong opinion.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(April 8, 2016 at 3:56 am)AFTT47 Wrote: I don't know what you're asking. I "tribed up" because I had a strong opinion.

I'll try to rephrase it then. In the most recent presidential election. Why do you feel the need to self label as one thing or the other? What was your "strong opinion" based on and how did it align with your tribe?

For example on the right we have "party outsider" supporters and "establishment (republican/conservative)" supporters and "no Trump" supporters.

On the left we have "Burnie or Bust" supporters and "No matter who vote Blue.(democrat)" supporters.

There are others but these are the most well know. Why do you think people self identify this way, or why do you identify this way?

P.S. Fear was a totally legit reason. I didn't mean to ask and call attention to it other then as a data point.
"I'm thick." - Me
(April 8, 2016 at 3:39 am)AFTT47 Wrote: I guess there is the situation where you feel one side or the other is a threat to your well-being or your way of life. It may or may not reflect reality. I have experienced it twice.

Carter had negotiated the release of the embassy personnel long before Ronnie took office.  He didn't have squat to do with any of it.
(April 8, 2016 at 4:18 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:

Carter had negotiated the release of the embassy personnel long before Ronnie took office.  He didn't have squat to do with any of it.

If we can stay away from candidates and FORMER candidates I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise this devolves into a he said, he said thread and I'd like to avoid that if I can.
"I'm thick." - Me
(April 8, 2016 at 4:21 am)Goosebump Wrote:
(April 8, 2016 at 4:18 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Carter had negotiated the release of the embassy personnel long before Ronnie took office.  He didn't have squat to do with any of it.

If we can stay away from candidates and FORMER candidates I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise this devolves into a he said, he said thread and I'd like to avoid that if I can.
Tell us what to think and we'll repeat it.
(April 8, 2016 at 4:30 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(April 8, 2016 at 4:21 am)Goosebump Wrote: If we can stay away from candidates and FORMER candidates I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise this devolves into a he said, he said thread and I'd like to avoid that if I can.
Tell us what to think and we'll repeat it.

You can say (type really =) what you want. I just asked nicely that you keep to my question. I can't make you. If I could I can think of a few things I'd rather do with that power.
"I'm thick." - Me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 846 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1395 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1662 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  American imagery from movies from 90s and 80s Sweden83 8 1563 December 5, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does the positive side of tribalism/racism outshine the negative side? Greatest I am 58 2113 August 13, 2020 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 814 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves Foxaèr 45 4011 April 20, 2019 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 6779 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1333 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Why are you American people, careless? A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 27 2155 September 11, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Whateverist