Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Consent to harvest organs.
Consent to harvest organs.
I've just learned that in several countries you do not have to have signed consent for organ transplant harvesting upon death. From this article:

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world...t-consent/

Where I am (USA/Nebraska) you can give consent or denial when getting your drivers license. Additionally you can give consent (even limited consent) or denial on line.

Personally I don't have a problem with the Russian law. Would certainly make more organs available for transplant. What the fuck are you or your family going to do with them once you're a stiff?

Thoughts?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Consent to harvest organs.
Seems reasonable to me ... but then I'm not encumbered with faith-based rituals.

[Image: tumblr_n1kjfpbG4L1qj7u8ao1_500.gif]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I definitely wish the system were opt-out rather than opt-in. We could genuinely help a lot of people.

But, it's a lot more fashionable to pray and wear pink.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I don't really care what they do to my body once I'm done using it. I think it would be better to assume they're allowed to, since the organs can save lives. Harvest away, and throw the rest down a hole. I don't care.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I've given consent for donating everything, I give blood and I'm registered for bone marrow. My wife has veto right on individual parts, though.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It does seem reasonable to not require consent for organ harvesting once a person is dead. However in a corrupt system these organs could be sold to the highest bidder in the black market rather than a teen in serious need of it.

Other than that it's a great law,IMO.
Opt out sounds good to me. I'm registered as an organ donor. It seems a horrible waste not to potentially save lives with things no one else has any use for.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hell, somebody in the mainland Chinese government needs parts they just go to a prison and harvest what they need.

Seems pretty damn efficient to me.

I assume they go to prisons outside of the heavily air polluted regions to get the country fresh ones.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I don't see a problem. Being dead I won't have use for them but someone else might.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nanotrees Harvest the Sun's Energy to Turn Water Into Hydrogen Fuel KichigaiNeko 2 1614 March 10, 2012 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko