Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:41 am

Poll: Fuck this poll?
This poll is closed.
Fuck this poll.
10.00%
1 10.00%
Fuck all polls.
90.00%
9 90.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How To Know When To Drop A Subject
How To Know When To Drop A Subject
I have this personal difficulty when I just don't know when to "drop it" and change the subject, I keep talking about the same thing on and on and on.

It's like nervous rambling where I get worried that something hasn't been resolved and like I need to finish what I'm saying even if it's not important, because I for some reason feel like there's no harm in finishing it even if it's really irritating and I just need to stop lol.

My problem is I often can't think what to change the subject to.

I was wondering if "Shall we change the subject?" suffices or are there better ways?
RE: How To Know When To Drop A Subject
Verbal and visual cues are the key. If someone is droning on and on and I'm no longer interested and want to change the subject or leave the conversation, I find myself no longer making eye contact, looking around for exits, my responses will no longer include questions or additions to the conversation but will be more along the lines of "uh-huh", and "yeah."

I have a team member at work who does this. He'll talk about everything for two hours if I just stand there. It's awkward. But I just say, "Hey, I gotta go to heads" or something like that, to break the conversation.

I think the key is to realize that conversations do not need a formal 'ending' to just be over.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I agree that that can apply if it's time the conversation ended.

What if the conversation is fine but It's simply about time I dropped the particular subject and talked about something else?

Like, I often can't think of something else to talk about and get stuck on one thing. I often don't have very original thoughts. Lol. I can be quite mechanical and repetitive. it's like an OCD thing.

it's not so much tthat I won't stop talking it's more that I won't stop talking about one particular thing and I need to know when to move onto something else.

Like, I could easily stop what I'm talking about and talk about something else but I get stuck on one thing because I become speechless.

I am wondering if when I can't think of something else to talk about, I am wondering if "Shall we change the subject?" will suffice?

Oh, and thank you for your help so far.
Sure. If you're talking to someone who knows you, they're probably already aware of it. The best thing to do is point it out and joke about it.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
When someone begins to bore me senseless, I can usually get relief by waiting for them to take a breath and jumping in with, 'Speaking of that, did you hear...' and bringing up an entirely different topic. The 'speaking of that' phrase makes the chatterer think they're still on the same subject.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 22, 2016 at 6:58 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: When someone begins to bore me senseless, I can usually get relief by waiting for them to take a breath and jumping in with, 'Speaking of that, did you hear...'  and bringing up an entirely different topic.  The 'speaking of that' phrase makes the chatterer think they're still on the same subject.

Boru

ROFLOL

I love it.

SteelCurtain Wrote:Sure. If you're talking to someone who knows you, they're probably already aware of it. The best thing to do is point it out and joke about it.

That sounds like fun because with me it will be a recurring joke ROFLOL
This is referenced in sienfeld with George Costanza when he's talking to his girlfriend about toilets and she asks to change the subject.

In the wise words of George Costanza toilets were the subject and conversations should end of their own violition

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

[Image: 12ymwt.jpg]
I like to say "well, think of it this way" and then just stop talking.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Hehe

I like "Well, there's only one way out of that situation."

And then when someone says "What?" say "I don't know. I just think there's probably only one way out of that situation." Followed by an awkward silence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3581 173996 Yesterday at 1:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1007 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  I know something you don't know... Jackalope 98 17190 April 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3859 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA